Meopta 7.3-14.6mm zoom with 66deg constant FOV

Now this

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=3810

looks interesting for lightweight travel + solar kit. The zoom range covers the most interesting range for solar in my little lunt, and with 2x teleXtender and 24mm MaxVision would be an awesome travel set for use with the 80mm F/6. Seem to be getting very good review. Not cheap, but not in the Zeiss/Leica range either.

I have heard some exceptional things about this little known maker from the Czech Republic, including specifically this zoom. It was mentioned to me by an APM representative. I think they were impressed.

It was suggested to me that I consider this ( http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/s2-82-hd-angled/MeoStar-S2-82-HD-Angled/kzkeaJXj.html ) as a possibility for my ultra portable scope that I am currently considering. It uses a pure fluorite element. In the spotting scope world this is virtually unheard of. Even Leica and Swarovski don't go that far, using Flurocrown and Fluoride containing lenses.

I have heard some exceptional things about this little known maker from the Czech Republic, including specifically this zoom. It was mentioned to me by an APM representative. I think they were impressed.

It was suggested to me that I consider this ( http://www.meoptaspo...d/kzkeaJXj.html ) as a possibility for my ultra portable scope that I am currently considering. It uses a pure fluorite element. In the spotting scope world this is virtually unheard of. Even Leica and Swarovski don't go that far, using Flurocrown and Fluoride containing lenses.

I have heard these good things as well. I do note that the Meopta site talks about fluoride rather than fluorite. Fluorite is a fluoride (calcium fluoride to be precise), but the reverse does not necessarily hold

this one is another one thats been on my radar for a while but I havent found any user reviews there was some chatter on cloudy nights which quickly became a discussion on the leica aspheric. so a link to any review would be appreciated

Speers-Waler do a 8.5mm-12mm "zoom" with a constant 82 degree field for around £255. It's a pretty massive item dimensionally. :smiley:

I was more interested in their 5-8mm which appears to have been discontinued. But I was interested in the meopta as a planetary zoom to go on a c5 and alt az mount

I don't know much about the Company but I have been to Czech Rep about 25 times, I often saw their cameras in shops secondhand and were told they were fair good and compaired to what was on offer in the West, so the Comapny has been around for some time and has History. As th whether it was true I have no idea. If however APM are selling it it will be of good quality I am sure,

As for the Speers Waler, I had the 5-8mm and it is very good though a little colourfull at the sides, I believe both are no longer made, if so it is a shame.

Alan

Archived