Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any thoughts on the Celestron Luminos 15mm?

Mileage may vary as ever, but I am not buying anything with an eye relief short of 17mm. Even with a dark adapted eye, I found that the 14mm Meade UWA was annoying with its 15mm eye relief. I have used 10mm Plossl, but only because long eye relief EPs were more-or-less on the horizon when I started out, but not readily available to me. It sort of worked (but vignetted heavily). The difference with the 20mm exit pupil LVs was breathtaking. Way more comfortable. If I did not have these problems, I would buy a set of MaxVision 68deg eps immediately.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Televues I compared the luminos to are the 6mm Delos & the 3-6 Nagler zoom.Either luminos has no ghosting.On jupiter I have learned to view it just as the sun glow is dropping,last winter all my eyepieces scattered on this planet from a combination of very cold,clear dark skies & possibly ice crystals hanging in the atmosphere.The other night I tried a dark site,but the area is full of fine sand-there was dust in the air and Saturn scattered a bit (all eyepieces) but bright objects higher in sky were fine.The 23mm gives a huge field of view for me-3.3 deg or so which is great for searching and objects like pleiades are stunning.So basically I have no comparison focal lenght to focal lenght and the 3 eyepieces have a pile of lenses (zoom excepted I think).On the Moon looking around the terminator when contrast is good this 10mm shows as much detail-crisp and sharp-as the Delos and zoom.For Solar use I have no idea how ANY eyepiece will function.Maybe good eyepieces are close to the same or not....?!I am picking up a fastish Dob and will report how the luminos works,also John the moderator did an Ortho comparison-which was fantastic-and I am buying Borg/Hutech 7mm and will check scatter issue with this eyepiece.I know one thing....sharing information makes the "learning curve" much cheaper and hobbies much more satisfying.

...Even with a dark adapted eye, I found that the 14mm Meade UWA was annoying with its 15mm eye relief...

The similar(?) ES82 14mm did not last long with me. With the concave eye lens set deep in the housing, the usable eye relief of this eyepiece was so short that I found it uncomfortable, even without glasses.

Archived