Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

N.A. Nebula and Pelican mosaic - complete.

Dave Smith

4 pane mosaic (my first deep sky), each frame approx 12 x 10 mins in Ha with Atik 460EX mono (first light) through a Megrez 72 refractor.

Mostly captured and stacked in MaximDL, stitched in RegiStar and processed in Photoshop CS2.

25% full size version

NAN4s.jpg

Full size version

http://astrosnaps.co.uk/NAN4.jpg

Thanks to the recent bout of good weather this was completed in 4 out of the last 5 nights - not often that happens.

Dave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image Dave, can't help but notice slightly eggy stars in the top right of the image - may be a guiding issue with that set.

Is that a Globular Cluster in the middle left - or is it just a bright star?

Thank you farunj and Jonathan.

@Jonathan - Yes I noticed those very eggy stars - I'm hoping it's not a guiding issue as to change to an off-axis guider is expensive. I'm hoping that I just need to be more careful of the spacing with the FR as this camera has twice the chip area as my previous 314L+.

That is just a star on the left. It is Xi Cygni mag 3.71.

Dave

Thank you farunj and Jonathan.

@Jonathan - Yes I noticed those very eggy stars - I'm hoping it's not a guiding issue as to change to an off-axis guider is expensive. I'm hoping that I just need to be more careful of the spacing with the FR as this camera has twice the chip area as my previous 314L+.

That is just a star on the left. It is Xi Cygni mag 3.71.

Dave

I'm not completely sure if it is guiding or not. The other 3 segments seem fine.

Brilliant Dave - see you've moved on the hubble stuff with the wall. Are you going to RGB this one?

Probably not Francis, at least not this year. I have tried nicking the colour from a DSLR image but it isn't that good. I will concentrate on the HST palette for now on selected parts, like the wall and neck of the pelican.

Dave

Excellent work Dave! If I'm honest, I don't think the colour version is adding anything for me (might just be this monitor) - but I'm loving the Ha version. Could CCDsharp sort out the stars in the top right?

Excellent work Dave! If I'm honest, I don't think the colour version is adding anything for me (might just be this monitor) - but I'm loving the Ha version. Could CCDsharp sort out the stars in the top right?

Thanks Ian. I would agree with you regarding the colour version - I do prefer the straight Ha but so many have asked whether I'm doing the colour.

Thank you for your suggestion about CCDsharp, I'm not familiar with it but I'll give it a go.

Dave

Archived