Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UFO? Can you identify any of the objects in this picture??

Tim

I won't make it too easy at first, just let you know that the date was June 2nd.

Exposures were 30 seconds, and there's 148 of them.

Can you identify what type of vehicle/object made the tracks on the image?

Answers on a postcard please........(or just here will do!)

post-1391-0-59847000-1370472297_thumb.jp

I think a couple of those lines are satelites or meteors. That thicker line kamikazing down is a gigantic solar sail and the punctuated line zooming from the top left to middle right in now you see me now you don't stealther-mode and just as quick rebounding off the photo's border is no doubt a highly trained ninja fly.

Three satellites , a meteor , a plane and Asteroid 1998 QE2 .... ?

Guessing the brighter trail is the intended target judging by the framing and the trail stopping short of the edges , QE2 ?

And then again probably not as it's too bright ?

Well done Steve, it is indeed the QE2. The next brightest object was a satellite which took 3 minutes to cover that track and appears to be rotating judging by the dotted line. The breaks in the tail are caused by the image download time before the camera starts exposing again.

The QE2 was one of the brightest objects in that part of the sky, even though it was only mag 10.6

cheers

Tim

Archived