SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MY power supply went puff

Nicho

12v is 12v is 12v. I am an ex-sparky, trust me :) The camera will only take the current it needs. It is worse to *under* specify the current than over-specify it. You *can't* actually over-specify the current by the rating of the power supply; the camera will only draw what it needs. Just ensure it is 12v and you will be fine. I have loads of such old adapters from various pieces of electro gear over the years. Most are 12v but some are 9V.

Nicho,

The link you gave is for a 'Skywatcher Power supply cable with a cigar lighter plug.

This has the correct 2.1mm Centre positive plug for your Atik but it will require a power tank (battery) to supply the power, or a Mains powered regulated 12v DC power supply.

If you don't want, or have not got, a battery/DC power supply... FO also do a mains powered supply for the Atik: -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/atik-power-supply-unit-psu.html

Beware of any cheap mains 'PLUG TOP' type power adaptors... a lot of them are not stabilised and can output a substantially higher voltage than 12v if used at a lower current than it's label says it is rated for.

For a £1000.00 + camera, it is better to spend a little more on a properly regulated (stabilised) power supply than risking any of the cheap units.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Best regards.

If you have several bits of kit requiring 12v (i.e. mount, camera etc) and you are near the mains you may be better off getting a proper 12V DC power supply from Maplins or FLO and running your gear off that. Put it in a well ventilted box to keep it from getting damp.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html

Sandy is right. Those plugtop things are cheap as chips and many times are unregulated. Not worth the risk. Use a proper 12V one or buy a decent PSU as per the link.

Thanks very much for your inputs Sandy and Kirkster501

I was mainly looking very short term as i had a power tank spare which i normally use for my dew heaters. The cigar cable which atik supplied isnt the stated 1.8 meters its more like 0.8 meters that was why i was looking at using the other cable as my pier is a lot taller than 0.8 meters .

Im looking at both the atik power supply and the maplins one ,which both of you have linked.

Kirkster501 when you say well ventited box are we talking a plastic box with a few holes in it ? or somthing a little more sturdy ?

Many thanks

Nick

Kirkster501 when you say well ventited box are we talking a plastic box with a few holes in it ? or somthing a little more sturdy ?

If using the PSU outdoors it needs to be inside a dry box with ventilation so yes, a small plastic box with ventilation holes would be ideal. Better still, build a dedicated box with socket outputs on it for your gear with the PSU inside. You should also connect mains operated outdoor stuff - like the PSU in this case - to an indoors RCD unit on a plug socket inside the house. Something like one of these.

Becareful!

'12V' is not always 12V.

Some '12V' psu's are unregulated, which means some will easily produce 17V or more depending on load (current being drawn). I have several like this.

If the camera is not designed to allow for a higher voltage input it will be more than your old psu going 'puff''.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived