2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Another Rip off on E-bay

trazor

I'm surprise no effort has been made to trace this scammer. He keeps on posting these scam because he get away from it.

Aside from posting scam, he has hijacked numerous ebay account, which I think is a even more serious problem

What's the scam exactly ?

Read the E-mail ......ie. do not bid, contact them immediately, send money outside of E-bay.

Look at other items the seller has for sale, all with the same conditions.

The sellers account has been hacked, and has numerous fraudulent items for sale.

I contacted the account holder when this scope appeared on another hacked account a few weeks ago. That 6in Astrophysics refractor was there too.

The account holder replied with thanks for my vigilance. They were already aware and working with eBay to get it sorted.

I'm sure eBay will be trying to nail the culprit but when they do find a way of blocking them the scammer will just change their MO :(

I contacted the account holder when this scope appeared on another hacked account a few weeks ago. That 6in Astrophysics refractor was there too.

The account holder replied with thanks for my vigilance. They were already aware and working with eBay to get it sorted.

I'm sure eBay will be trying to nail the culprit but when they do find a way of blocking them the scammer will just change their MO :(

I was not talking about Ebay blocking the scammer. Ebay should contact the police and get him arrested. Otherwise he will just hack another account and use it to continue his scam.

Edited by E621Keith
  • Like 1

The problem is people think they are getting the item very cheap,and reply quickly to snap it up.

I wonder how many people get scammed, as this same con happens frequently, it must be worth their while to arrange it.

I was not talking about Ebay blocking the scammer. Ebay should contact the police and get him arrested. Otherwise he will just hack another account and use it to continue his scam.

Probably lives abroad (Nigeria?), Lots of police time, required here and internationally, to procure a conviction.

That's the problem eBay can't trace the scammer's location or identity. Most likely in some god forsaken lawless country anyway.

All they can hope to do is shut down their current approach using the regular "shopuk@gmail.com" email address.

Our only protection against these scams is to stay vigilant!

That scope was up for sale about 2/3 weeks ago

Yup, that'll be when I contacted the wholly legitimate account holder to warn them. It's usually a very valuable refractor they try and "sell".

The scope will have most probably been in a bona fide auction at some time which is where the scammers find it.

These listings have always disappeared by the time I read these threads, which is a good thing I suppose. I think eBay are quick to jump on them chiefly because it is classed as dodging eBay seller fees.

Because the theft takes place outside of eBay and Pay Pal I imagine that eBay has little sympathy for the loser. It's a bit like sending £500 via cable to Algeria to secure that lottery win....

eBay will be more concerned about the account that got hacked because that affects an existing, usually high volume seller. They'll be very keen to assist them.

I'm not an "eBayer" I don't have an account. The wife does and we've used it to sell mostly high value items. Particularly my late father's belongings.

We sold a large Yamaha electronic, all singing, all dancing organ on there. We had an idea of it's value because we found the receipts.

Dealers here didn't really want to know. We put it on eBay and within hours had messages from UK dealers offering £300 because that was all it was worth. We held out and eventually got well over £2000, which although still cheap was much more realistic.

It was a huge beast of a thing and took 3 men to move it. We sold it to an American guy living in Brazil. He sent his "local man" to pick it up. Pound notes were exchanged and we stuffed it into the back of a dilapidated old Bedford Rascal to start its export journey. eBay got their full fees and everyone was happy.

So I now find myself trawling eBay looking for my next scope. I'm watching 5 or 10 at any one time but only bid on one. I didn't get it :( That's how come I keep spotting this telescope scammer. I won't be falling for it. I'll buy a "cash on collection" scope...eventually. But it saddens me that there may be someone so keen and excited and in love with their new hobby that they just don't see the dangers of sending their cash outside of the system.

It hate to think how much this scammer has already taken. My guess is many tens of thousands of pounds... :(

Hey, be careful out there.... :)

These listings have always disappeared by the time I read these threads, which is a good thing I suppose. I think eBay are quick to jump on them chiefly because it is classed as dodging eBay seller fees.

They are not dodging seller fees, they are stealing your money for goods you will never see.

• Like 1

They are not dodging seller fees, they are stealing your money for goods you will never see.

If they are advising buyers to send money no questions asked, and not to bid on it through ebay, that is classed as fee avoidance and they jump on that kind of thing with heavy feet. The stealing part is just by the by, I doubt eBay will put much effort into helping with police reports etc.