Mak 127 M3 -- another attempt

JamesF

Much happier with this one in general compared with my previous attempt. It is a bit noisy and I think that would stack out if I could get enough decent frames. I think the EQ3-2 just isn't really up to the job though. Whether that's because it's old, or because EQ3-2 mounts just generally aren't good enough for unguided 45 second subs at 1500mm I have no idea. I think there's a bullet waiting to be bitten somewhere there though :)

It's still not as good as my M13 from a few days ago. I'm fairly sure I got focus fairly decently nailed on this one though. APT reported an FWHM figure of well under 2 and a focus score of 1 and I couldn't get it any better. I think perhaps the difference in quality is down to a combination of seeing and the altitude of the target. Definitely one to have another go at on holiday.

m31.png

20 frames of 45 seconds with the 450D and 127 Mak, stacked in DSS with 10 darks.

James

Archived