SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

GSO 12" RC Dissambly.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet Marc.......I'm over in mainland Europe working (at the Montreaux jazz festival today :smiley: ) until the middle of August so I've given them a good 5 weeks to work on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How are things going Rob?

Got back home yesterday Doug....good to be back but very tired. Scope should be with me in early September and I'm not working again until mid October so I hope to get some proper imaging done with it.

• 4 months later...

I have been looking at getting a GSO based 12inch RC but have been put off by the issues people are having with astigmatism and collimation.

I have a question for Doug and Marco - have you achieved those beautiful round stars by simply replacing/adding cork to the mirror cell? I appreciate there is a need to separate the focusser from the cell, but there is a relatively simple solution for that issue already out there. If you can truly overcome the incredibly poor design for virtually no outlay it entirely changes the viability of these scopes.

I looked at the images of a stripped down 12 inch and was horrified at the mirror cell 'design' It looked to me that it might be possible to put  triangles for a 9 point support in the triangular gaps in the cell thus adding  about 3mm to the thickness of the cell and moving the mirror higher in it's cell by about 5mm. Unless there is scope to move the secondary at least 5mm further up the tube it may be that this wouldn't work and I'd be into building a complete new tube or truss.

Incidently, these scopes have been available for some time with solid tubes - does anyone have any experience of these?

Ian B 

Archived