Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Had a go at splitting Antares

Damo636

I tried and failed to split Antares last night. Seeing was really poor though so I'm not giving up yet! I think the low altitude as much as anything is going to make this a particularily tough split.

Good plan Michael, it should be much easier from there. I had another bash at it last night but crashed & burned again! The conditions were great but its so low on the horizon it shimmers like a disco ball! I have a feeling this one may not be doable from my location. Out of curiosity, is Antares considered more, or less difficult to split than Sirius?

I must have another go at Zeta Hurcules John. I tried a few times last year and failed. Mind you, it didn't help that I was centred on the wrong star! Although I eventually figured it out, I never got back to have another lash at it. From what I've read, I believe its another tough cookie?

I must have another go at Zeta Hurcules John. I tried a few times last year and failed. Mind you, it didn't help that I was centred on the wrong star! Although I eventually figured it out, I never got back to have another lash at it. From what I've read, I believe its another tough cookie?

I wouldn't rate it as hard as Sirius, at least with a 5" Mak - maybe it's different with other types of scope.

I've also tried Antares a few times recently; even on a night with excellent seeing, it's been a shimmering ball as others have already stated!

Chris

• 1 month later...

The combination of low altitude, difference in magnitudes, 1.5 & 5.2 and the closeness of the pair, separation 2.18", make splitting Antares a very difficult task. Personally, I believe that the best option is to get as far south as possible, with Antares high in the sky the split can be achieved.

• 11 months later...

I tried this tonight with my 120mm refractor, best I got was a flashing red/green, could tell there was two stars there but could not see a definite split. It was quite low in the sky though as I was viewing from North Wales.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe that the best option is to get as far south as possible, with Antares high in the sky the split can be achieved.

Yes I agree. It's near zenith here in Australia and an easy split in a 7" refractor. But same star, same scope 20° above the horizon is a ball of mush. I'm trying to get my fill of it before we return to the UK cos, yes, I rekon it will be a really tough split there. Could always grab your sunnies and your swimmers and head to Spain :)

Just to tease you, here's a sketch of Antares from Australia right now :D

post-37954-0-27354800-1405984135.jpg

Archived