Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for future setup!

Hi all

Ive been doing this since last Christmas and now I would like to get a proper astrophotography setup sorted, I'm planning to get a skywatcher ED80 for Christmas unless anyone suggest another scope for good DSO imaging, I'm stuck for the mount though I was trying to get a used NEQ6 but its been sold, so I'm back to either a HEQ5 or a EQ5, I would like to add a guide scope aswell when the time comes, I will be using my skymax 127 on the new mount ill get up to Christmas after that I think the new scope will most probably stay on it,

I would just like to know suggestion comments of past experience and advice as to what to go for, as all of you know things get expensive and I can't afford to buy something then need to upgrade again soon after I'd like things to last a few years before I need to upgrade etc.

I would like the set up to be portable as the chance might come up to take it on holiday or to really good dark skies in this country

Thanks

Chris

The HEQ5 and NEQ6 will both happily take the ED80 plus a guidescope, cameras etc..

I've owned both and the HEQ5 was easier to move about than the NEQ6 as its quite a bit lighter.

If you plan on upgrading the scope to something heavier and I mean like C9.25/C11 heavy or multiple imaging scopes then go for the sturdier mount capable of a higher payload - in this case the NEQ6.

If you're not bothered and plan to stick with the ED80 and a guidescope then the HEQ5 is absolutley fine and is an excellent mount.

The HEQ5 and NEQ6 will both happily take the ED80 plus a guidescope, cameras etc..

I've owned both and the HEQ5 was easier to move about than the NEQ6 as its quite a bit lighter.

If you plan on upgrading the scope to something heavier and I mean like C9.25/C11 heavy or multiple imaging scopes then go for the sturdier mount capable of a higher payload - in this case the NEQ6.

If you're not bothered and plan to stick with the ED80 and a guidescope then the HEQ5 is absolutley fine and is an excellent mount.

i think until I get my own house and get a proper well paid job I'm going to stick with easier simple things to move and store parents don't want scopes and stuff all over haha thanks! Ill have a look for a used HEQ5 then I don't mind going second hand on a mount ill be buying the scope brand new thought

thanks

Chris

Just another point is there much difference between HEQ5 and EQ5 or is the HEQ5 just a lot sturdier?

The HEQ-5 is not only sturdier, it's also more accurate. The HEQ-5 Pro Synscan / Syntrek makes imaging far easier than the EQ-5 Pro Synscan. If you get the HEQ-5 Pro 2nd hand, you won't be paying any more than you would for an EQ-5 Pro Synscan, so there aren't really any advantages to getting the EQ-5 that I can see ;).

HTH

The HEQ-5 is not only sturdier, it's also more accurate. The HEQ-5 Pro Synscan / Syntrek makes imaging far easier than the EQ-5 Pro Synscan. If you get the HEQ-5 Pro 2nd hand, you won't be paying any more than you would for an EQ-5 Pro Synscan, so there aren't really any advantages to getting the EQ-5 that I can see ;).

HTH

Just the answer I wanted! Thanks I've got a syncscan mount now and I'd love to keep using it makes it so much easier for me thanks!

Thanks

Chris

Just the answer I wanted! Thanks I've got a syncscan mount now and I'd love to keep using it makes it so much easier for me thanks!

Thanks

Chris

I'm not sure I was clear.

If doing DS imaging, an equatorial mount is a requirement because of the field rotation that occurs if the mount is Alt-Az. Both the EQ-5 pro synscan and HEQ-5 pro synscan would be much better than your current mount to avoid field rotation, but the HEQ-5 is the better one out of the two.

I'm not sure I was clear.

If doing DS imaging, an equatorial mount is a requirement because of the field rotation that occurs if the mount is Alt-Az. Both the EQ-5 pro synscan and HEQ-5 pro synscan would be much better than your current mount to avoid field rotation, but the HEQ-5 is the better one out of the two.

yep I've known that for a while I haven't suffered from field rotation yet though not took enough time for it to effect but I understand that for the pictures I want and exposure times I need that an EQ mount is a must :)

Archived