SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing in Scotland compared to England..?

emadmoussa

In few months there's the possibility I might be moving up to Scotland. In terms of astronomical activities and stargazing...how is it compared to Southern UK?

Most likely I'll be living in a suburban/rural area within a commuting distance from Edinburgh.

It's colder........

But there are some very dark sites not too far from the cities. Not so good on the summer as it's lighter a full hour more on average than the south and it never really gets fully dark around now.

In fact if you're near Edinburgh, there are some dark sites along the Fife coast, north-east of the city and I'm sure some to the south as well.

I live a bit further north near Dundee and can see a a fair bit from my garden or a mile up the road into the farm land it starts to get good.

Of course over at Galloway you have the Dark Sky park and that's only a hours drive from you.

Just get some warm clothes......

There are a lot of good observing sites north of the border. As always you'll get light pollution in certain areas. I think you should check the light pollution comparison sights which will give a map of the area you're moving to.

David

Well, I don't care much about the cold...

As far as I understand 3 months a year are not that good for DSOs observing...or at least very limited. But you still get lunar and planetary I guess. Also, considering you have more less populated areas there will be less LP and more dark sites?

You'll certainly notice how much lighter it is at night this time of year compared to southern England. My in-laws live north of Inverness and it's even more pronounced up there.

I live in Perthshire and during the summer, in fact last night, it never got properly dark, although the sky was really clear. It's a price we pay living up here. But during winter it's really good - as always weather permitting lol

David

We're quite lucky in the borders, LP is really not that bad.

+1 for the Galloway reference.

I'll be at the Star Camp in November.

Last year the Saturday night was just so dark, the views were amazing.

And this is from someone who is originally from Hampshire (although I left when I was 16......so that was a few years ago :smiley: )

Neil

Our group (mix of observers/ imagers) has a few dark sites in the Central Belt, the closest is approx 15 miles from Edinburgh city centre and the skies are pretty good at the right time of year. Google CSOG when you move up, you will get details of meets, locations etc.

Archived