3D printed self centering 2" to 1.25" adaptor

MikeD

Me and a mate have been designing a 3d printed (collimatable) laser collimator using a maplins green laser.

As part of the design we needed a way to get the collimator to sit repeatedly central in the focuser.

This is what he came up with using the 3D printer.

I haven't had a chance to test it properly but it seems to work very well every time I remove and replace the adaptor the laser dot hits the same spot.

It is designed to be push fit but an added bonus is you can still use the standard retaining screws without the usual shift in the focuser as the screws only act on one of the flexible vanes.

I think this will work well with eyepieces, the design is free to all to develop and /or print , details here

The collimator is still in development. :smiley:

Mike.

post-730-0-35529900-1370109892_thumb.jpg

That looks great mike, what a simple but affective solution.

I would love to have a 3D printer to play with!

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

I've no idea as I don't know the cost of the material used in 3D printing.- Somewhere in the region of £15 0 £25 given there are already other "precision" self centering adapters on the market.....

I think the way to go if you were serious, would be to get them made in bulk using plastic extrusion and sell them for a fiver.

But that would mean a big risky investment up front.

Mike

Archived