Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Recommendations for new Solar imaging camera

Zakalwe

I'm currently using a DMK21-618 for solar work, but am finding the small chip size a bit restrictive.

I've considered the Ximea MQ013MG-E2 as it offers a decent chip size (1280 x 1024 @ 60fps) and a good price ~£300.

The TIS DMK41s look a bit long in the tooth now, with a slow fps. Its expensive too..

Any recommendations please? I'm ideally looking for a UK supplier. USB2 or 3 (no FireWire).

I'm using a Lunt L60 and double-stacking it with a 50mm front Etalon.

Budget? about £300-ish.

What say you?

I use a DMK41, although I briefly considered a DMK51, but cost, slower frame rate and compatibility issues lead me to believe it wasn't worth it.

You could have a look at a QHY5-II, it will do 30 fps and costs £199.

Give your QHY5 a try, if that works, then a -II should work better.

Robin

I use a DMK41, although I briefly considered a DMK51, but cost, slower frame rate and compatibility issues lead me to believe it wasn't worth it.

You could have a look at a QHY5-II, it will do 30 fps and costs £199.

Give your QHY5 a try, if that works, then a -II should work better.

Robin

I tried the QHY5 on the Moon once and was less than impressed. I think that the electronic rolling shutter was playing havoc when used with a fast exposure time. The Ximea is of interest as it has a global shutter (also a rolling shutter mode is available).

The ZWOptical might be a good shout. The Micron sensors are supposed to be noisy, but there's lots of good planetary images being taken with them.

Or a Point Grey Flea3, but I think they are even more than a DMK41.

For solar, you don't need anything over-sensitive, just reasonably fast, so CMOS sensors will be fine.

Robin

• Like 1

My vote is for the Chameleon (it's $375 new, I believe). It is similar in some respects to DMK41, but has a much better sensor (ICX445 vs ICX205) - more sensitivity (including H-alpha), which is good in case of factory-made H-alpha scopes, where you cannot easily increase the amount of available light (unlike in white light of course, where you just switch Baader ND 5 film for ND 3.8 or use brighter filters in the Herschel wedge).