Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

AstroWolvy

Close-up on surge and spicules eruption (video)

While I was exploring the Sun disc looking for a good subject I found this small active zone next the limb, that was erupting, I decided to follow its fast closure with short captures, infact after only 10 minutes the event was ended. To build the movie then I added a second surge prominence I captured few months ago. As you can see also from the Earth scale, the sujects this time are very small events, like micro surge, spicules eruption, all watchable only on the edge of the disc with very fast capture and lower exposure respect to the filming of normal prominence. Usually they are burn and overexposed losing any details. You can also see plasma falling from the other side of the Sun.

YouTube compression blur many of the details but I hope you will like it.

If you enjoy the movie, click the like button or subscribe to my channel. :grin:

YouTube Astro Channel

• Like 1

Magnificent work, you were very lucky indeed to catch both, and beautifully put together as well :)

Alexandra

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kitsunegari
      125mm x 1200mm + Coronado pst etalon / 15mm blocking filter = Basler 1920-155um

• By M31Fan
      Hi! 
      Newby here...
      What's the best software to do solar tracking and imaging on a Raspberry Pi (Astroberry)?

I have been learning how to use Kstars/Ekos/INDI and it's working pretty well at night, but since now the nights are super short and the sun is more "exposed" I'm also trying to do solar imaging. 
      Astroberry oacapture, but how can I control the mount to perform solar tracking? Normaly I use EKOS for this, but then I can't use it with solar film capture. 

Please let me know which software you use to connect the mount, focuser and camera (QHY-II-5L-C). It's ok to control the mount and focuser in a separate software, but using two separate INDI sessions seems to crash it. Advice and recommendations are welcome! 

Thanks & Clear skies! 
      Tiago

• By acr_astro
      Hi all,
      as well today the sun is shining brightly here. I set up the Lunt to have a look at it, at first just for observing. However, somehow I cannot resist and have to do a sketch This time I've chosen reddish pastels on grey paper to better catch the color of the view in the eyepiece.

Telescope: Lunt LS50THaB600PT
      Eyepiece: Celestron X-cel 10mm
      Date & Time: May 15th, 2020 / 1400-1430 CEST
      Technique: red and orange Koh-i-Noor pastels and pastel pens on grey Canson Mi-Teintes pastel paper
      Size: 24 x 32 cm
      Clear (and sunny) skies!
      Achim
    • By NiCo10
      Managed to get some solar observing in this week, trying to get back into it after quite a break. Having been away some time I'm definitely out of practice., so I'm trying to record my amateur attempts and publicly shame myself on YouTube so I can learn from them as I go along.
      Also need a tracking mount, its hard trying to do manually and focus at the same time. I'm in absolute awe of some of the stuff you lot produce, absolutely fantastic. This footage was from Wednesday 15th April 2020, very different compared to April 2014.
      Solar Minimum v Maximum comparison
    • By Bajastro
      I finished observations of the Mizar A spectroscopic binary.
      Calibration for the Hα line made on water lines contained in the Earth's atmosphere.
      I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 grooves/mm reflective holographic grating, APM APO 107/700, QHY163M camera and HEQ5 mount with guiding.
      It turned out that the Earth's movement practically compensated for the radial velocity of the Mizar A system.
      Based on the analysis, I received the result:
      vr = -8.8 km/s
      in fact the system is approaching at a radial velocity of -6.3 km/s.

I also determined the phase plot of radial velocities based on my measurements for the Na (together for both lines) and separately for Hα line:

Error is based on half my spectral resolution (0.2 Å/pix corresponds to rv = 10 km/s). Each measurement corresponds to the stack a few images.

The most important purpose of observing this binary system was to record the historical Ca II line (often called as CaK, 3933.66 Å).
      The distances in the violet part of the spectrum are almost 2x smaller than the corresponding shifts for the Hα line. This line initiated the discovery of spectroscopically binary systems, and Mizar A was the first discovered system of this type.

These were the spectroscopic observations in the 19th century:

Source: https://www.leosondra.cz/en/mizar/#b20

I've made several observations of this line in the last two weeks:

Animation showing the changes in the CaK line based on my observations:

Not only the Ca II is split, but the surrounding lines also, shown below in a wider environment:

Balmer hydrogen lines are becoming more dense as Balmer's gap approaches (3646 Å).

Observation result of the Hα line:

And animation showing the changes in this line:

The Na I doublet was much more difficult to observe, because stars with A spectral type contain very faint lines of this metal:

Animation showing the changes in the sodium doublet:

We received the sodium quartet

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.