Narrowband

FLASH!! Amazing Noctilucent Clouds, RIGHT NOW!!

Look out NOW if you can.. Very large and bright noctilucent cloud display. One is snaking from the horizon to almost overhead. There's lots to the north, but some to the west as well. Very extensive.

Andrew

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried to get a picture with my phone camera but not very good.

I had a good vantage point but was looking over the lights of the town so was solid a bit.

Could only see a brighter area over the horizon.

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like it was spectacular, and those pics show it.. shame it was solid grey cloud here last night.. 5 days till the next set ?? If I recall the expected cycle from last year.

Well, I'm off work now until Tuesday and we'll be off up to our caravan in darkest Cumbria later today.

I'm hoping for clear skies and another display of Noctilucent Cloud tonight so I've made sure I've got my camera and tripod in the car just in case.

We have an excellent northerly vista from our decking. Just a bit of dazzle from the lights of Penrith 5 miles away but not too bad!

Perhaps the only thing I'll be missing tonight is photographic skill of any kind :)

Fantastic!

I must stay up and catch them - I don't know how you 'dirty stopouts' do it! :D

Well, I was out very late last night. I worked a night shift from 7 to 7 !

Very handy for stargazing :)

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting video.

I wasn't aware that meteor activity was the primary cause NLC's.

Interesting too that there is an apparent increase in activity in recent times. I've only ever seen them over the last decade and from a dark site in Cumbria. I just assumed it was all about location.

I'm always a bit uneasy about theories based on very short periods of satellite data.

I imagine that most of the people manipulating the data and theorising on it's meaning will have never looked for or seen an NLC with their own eyes. Perhaps they had never even heard of NLC's until dropping in on that particular project.

I'm a great sceptic when it come to expertise based on an extremely narrow viewpoint.

And I'm very pleased to have said all that without mentioning Global Warming...

Errr...Oh, oops! :D

I'm always a bit uneasy about theories based on very short periods of satellite data.

most of the people manipulating the data

mentioning Global Warming...

Errr...Oh, oops!

Oh I wish you hadn't mentioned 'the war' ! Oops!!

did you mean "manipulating" 'sensu stricto' or its common latter day meaning of fiddling ?

but my main reson for posting is that "a short period of satellite data" is not the conundrum,

I was aware (before the NASA video), that this was a phenomenon of recent times, post Krakatoa

the conundrum is why it has only been reported recently.

There are extensive records of all sorts of atmospheric aparitions going back to the 1600s and before, fish and frogs falling from the skies, rainbows, new stars, brocken spectre, allsorts,but not one description (so far found) of NLC before. (Krakatoa may have been coincidental)

I was mildly suspicious of GW-oops, (our change has been small compared to fluctuations in the past) but I was prepared to conceed the precautionary principle. These new observations lend credence to the possibility that we are changing things, but it doesnt necessarily spell doom.

Anyway, back to topic -

until we have a page for Flashes ( I thort there was one once ?)

NLC watchers might like to monitor for early warnings the links I gave at the top of this thread :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188040-nlc-visible-germany-scotland-nireland/#entry1958561

Fairly clear here. Sadly, from home I don't have a great northerly horizon. From what I can see it's still too light over that way to see NLC's yet.

As compensation we do have a very high pass of ISS starting in 20 mins. Max elevation of 58deg. Just about as high as it ever gets here :)

Fairly clear here. Sadly, from home I don't have a great northerly horizon. From what I can see it's still too light over that way to see NLC's yet.

As compensation we do have a very high pass of ISS starting in 20 mins. Max elevation of 58deg. Just about as high as it ever gets here :)

Nothin showing on the (darker) German IAP cams links,

oohhh thanks for the ISS reminder ,,,

Archived