Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dual Imaging Rigs - my thoughts and ideas

Gina

Do you need them perfectly aligned? The second image is ever so slightly lower is it not?

How are you taking the pictures from two cameras at the same time?

Any problems overloading the usb comms or are you offsetting the time you start each camera?

What are the lottery numbers for friday?

Sorry....i got a bit carried away there. Looks good and will be interested in seeing what problems you encounter.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you need them perfectly aligned? The second image is ever so slightly lower is it not?

No, perfect alignment is not necessary. I consider within 5% of frame size would be quite good enough. Yes, on closer inspection there is a very slight vertical difference but well within my tolerances. The horizontal error looks like being about on the limit. An elongated hole would easily provide enough correction.
How are you taking the pictures from two cameras at the same time?

Any problems overloading the usb comms or are you offsetting the time you start each camera?

I'm running two instances of Artemis and enabling saving on one at a time, setting the filename to red or gold depending in which camera I was using.
What are the lottery numbers for friday?
Wish I knew :D Actually, I've given up doing the lottery.
Sorry....i got a bit carried away there. Looks good and will be interested in seeing what problems you encounter.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

:D :D

Thank you :)

post-13131-0-85137400-1372884119_thumb.p

This image is the result of applying both images to RegiStar using "union". The black border shows the extent of the misalignment.

post-13131-0-89778200-1372885345_thumb.p

I think I have the hardware side of my ED80 dual imaging rig completed. Now I need to finish my multi-function Arduino box. I'm using the Mega 2560 version as I need rather a lot of I/O pins. The control box will be used on all three of my imaging rigs - single MN190, dual ED80 and triple widefield. Including the guide camera lens I shall have 4 lenses to focus and these will be using stepper motors controlled by the Arduino. So that's 16 outputs already. Then I want to control the dew heaters later - more I/O. And all this will be controlled from the warm room with a box with switches and push buttons and later, computer control. I'm also planning to have local control with menu system and LCD display. I have most of this designed but only a lesser version in use ATM. I'll start a new thread in the DIY Astronomer forum for this I think.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of photos of the ED80 rig.

post-13131-0-37453600-1373140705_thumb.j post-13131-0-27092500-1373140711_thumb.j

I have been making some progress on the widefield tripple imaging rig and I think I should have this ready in a few days. The latest design is simpler than the earlier ones and with lenses to match the sensor coverage almost exactly it should be quite good I think. I will be using three electronic focusers, one for each imaging system. I don't think the guider will need it. I have the three stepper controllers connected up to the Arduino and that unit is almost ready. Just the power connections and the sketch to do, though the main part of the sketch controlling the steppers is already done.

The dual imaging system with twin ED80s is finished except that it will need the Arduino stepper control box with one of the stepper controls operating the alignment shift. However, I am having second thoughts about the complexity of adding a 2 panel mosaic to the single main image. I would have to work out how the imaging sequence would go. I'm not planning an automated alignment shift so this would have to be either an attended run or spread over two nights to form the mosaic. I think my poor old brain is going to be severely stretched to get round this concept and work it all out - I seem to have enough trouble with the simpler things these days :D It really isn't necessary to squeeze every last ounce of image data out of the limited clear night skies - I'm not on piece rate! :D

Gina just a thought but have you seen Sequence Generator Pro? It will certainly help with doing mosaic unattended on your rig. I run two instances of it on mine for the two cameras. The plate solving function really allows precision repeatable positioning coupled with the mosaic wizard... well wow is all I can say.

Gina just a thought but have you seen Sequence Generator Pro? It will certainly help with doing mosaic unattended on your rig. I run two instances of it on mine for the two cameras. The plate solving function really allows precision repeatable positioning coupled with the mosaic wizard... well wow is all I can say.

I did have a quick look at it before - yes - it looks very good :) AT works pretty well - when it works! But there's the rub - when :D It solves my test images of 30s binned 8x8 in Ha but usually refuses to solve any image I copy off the web. Sequence Generator Pro is not too pricey if it really does what it says :) Anyway there's a 45 day trial period in which they say it does all that the bought version does, so I can try it. I bought AA5 and was initially impressed with the manual but it was pretty well all theory and went right over my head - I really must try to find out how to use it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread Gina ..love the twin 80's idea and splitting the widefield rig was good call ....know what they say "" keep it simple"" been looking into this dual/triple capture but with converted cctv cameras ...nothing to your standard but its in the pipeline. ..all takes time.....keep the good work up,, look forward to reading all your posts your dedication and drive in the hobby is insperational..Davy

• 4 years later...

That link to the triple imaging rigs contains several versions, so which rig were you referring to?  Telescope dual and triple rigs used 10mm thick aluminium.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

That link to the triple imaging rigs contains several versions, so which rig were you referring to?  Telescope dual and triple rigs used 10mm thick aluminium.

Thanks Gina, the photo above i was referring to.  I'll read the triple rig thread later.   I'm hoping to mount 2 x ED80s and 2 x DSLRs, and a finder guider on the plate, with provision for a widefield lens 105mm to use with a third DSLR.

21 hours ago, Gina said:

Ah yes, the twin ED80s rig did indeed use a 10mm thick mounting plate.

Hi Gina, sorry to trouble you again.  I've source a piece of 15mm aluminium, do you know what size roughly that your plate is?

Not exactly now but long enough to cater for the scope rings and wide enough to take the two pairs of scope rings when the scopes are side by side.  An ADM dovetail bar was used to connect the plate to the mount.  HTH.

Archived