SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An unusual way to show photographs

Superdavo

Hi everybody!

The skies are a bit too light and cloudy at the moment for me to do astronomy, so I've resorted to my other hobby - computer programming. I've been learning how to use the LWJGL java library, which allows you to make things in 3d. I was learning how to apply images to squares, and I decided to add a bit of space to it, by using a photo of the Moon I took last year. I added a frame, so you could see that it was a cube, used a first person camera system I did a while ago, and ended up with this!

If you want to run it, just open the .zip file, and double-click the file called Space photo cube, and it should open.

If you are familiar with first-person shooter games on the computer, you should know already how the controls work, if not:

W - Move Forwards

A - Move left

S - Move backwards

D - Move right

Space - Move up

Left shift - Move down

and move the mouse to look around.

Anyway, enjoy!

PhotoCube.zip

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that 3D textures only show the 2D sides of the cube. If you want rotatable 3D then you'll have to project the target onto a sphere, then volume render or ray cast the sphere :)

Archived