Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APM 100mm ED-Semi Apo Binocular Telescope

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this binocular?

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=1893&x30523=ushmhujt4kdnmud2mf1spj9fn1

I've decided that I would like a large aperture instrument with angled eyepieces (after a lot of saving!), and this one certainly looks the part!

Any thoughts appreciated :-)

Damo

No direct experience but from what I've read this is one of the few big bins that work at or very near the stated 100mm aperture and they are much lighter than the Helios Quantum 7s / Oberwerk monsters, you could probably use them on that nice tripod and mount you already have.

Big plus is being able to use any 1.25 EPs........

and another is.......I'll buy 'em off you if you don't want to keep them.....:-)

I have seen them come up second hand but some are the older model with the proprietary EPs

Envious now !

I think they are pretty new, so you'll need to watch out for reviews. CN may be reasonably quick off the mark in this regard. Heavier than my 100mm Miyauchi, but lighter than a lot of Chinese fare. If they are any good, that is a stupidly cheap price!

I have not tried the APM 100’s but do own a pair of 100mm 45dg bino’s and do enjoy there performance. The 45dg angle of the eyepieces makes viewing objects at higher elevations more comfortable and having the ability to swap eyepieces for different magnifications is nice. It also allows you to fit filters which can help enhance contrast and reduce the effects of light pollution. I have made a Baader solar filter for mine and they give great views of sunspots. They are big though and might be better thought of as a small telescope and you will need a solid mount. Check the links for more info.-

http://www.cloudynig...ents/binos3.pdf

http://www.garrettop...-p/gt100-45.htm

These are mine-

post-30467-0-66813600-1369849940_thumb.j

post-30467-0-48324000-1369849984_thumb.j

Thanks guys. They do seem to tick all the boxes, cost, weight & a measured aperture of 99mm. Reviews are thin on the ground but most of what I have read so far has been pretty positive. It'll take me a while to save up, so hopefully by the time I have the funds, there will be more feedback.

and I don't think the price is too bad for something made by APM.
Do we know that it is made by APM? Far more likely, I would think, that it's of Far Eastern origin and branded by APM (but I don't know that either).

Do we know that it is made by APM? Far more likely, I would think, that it's of Far Eastern origin and branded by APM (but I don't know that either).

I bet they are not made by APM, just like their Marine HD 15x70 are "just" BA8s with an APM branding. Nothing wrong with that. My APM 80/480 is the same as the TS or Altair equivalent, but APM does tend to attach their name to quality stuff, and in my experience they do check the stuff they send to customers.

I don't think APM makes anything. They subcontract other companies to make things and then stick their label on it. The biggest difference between APM and the average rebrander is APM commission designs for some of it product and invests their R&D. (e.g. LZOS Apo, Riccardi reducers, Lunt Ha scope, and various high end eyepieces.)

There is a pair of Miyauchi 20x100 on fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miyauchi-20x100-Galaxy-Binoculars-/121121282562?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item1c33641a02

The Miyauchi 20x100s are very tempting.....they are proprietary EPs aren't they Steve..?
Yes. I have the x37 eyepieces as well as the x20. It's years since the x20 have been in. (They also did a x26)
Is the asking price fair?
I think so, as long as it is in good nick. They were £1995 new (when you could get them).

Archived