Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2015 - SGL 10

daz

Will you plan on attending SGL 10?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. I will attend SGL10 and am looking forward to it already!

Dark and clear is stunning though if you happen to live in light polluted skies.

One of the factors we gave consideration is the fact that a lot of astronomers struggle with orange skies , a weekend away under dark skies shows people new to the hobby the wonder of the stars.

Oh and for the record I don't consider Lucksall or even the mythical Kelling particularly dark ;)

I thought it will take place in Lucksall. I may change my mind if it takes place else where.

It will be a balance between dark sky and convenience. Outer Hebrides may be very dark, but I don't think many people will go if the star party is held there. Snowdonia or Brecon Beacons may not be a bad idea though.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be a shame if it were anywhere other than Lucksall... I know there are limits to numbers but we have been there since SGL3? and the site owners have gone out of their way to make us welcome... and the rally field has more electric than some sites have on the main field... Then you have the cafe etc...

Just my two penneth...

Peter...

Sgl10 will be at Lucksall.

Lucksall is darker than most people's gardens, but it isn't ALL about the skies... Trust me on this.

Steve's right Kelling isn't anywhere near as dark as it was 11 years ago when I first went there.

Cheers

Ant

I hopefully will be there

its about getting there for me as well, about the same mileage as Kelling for me but takes half the time to get to Lucksall, I am towing a tin snail.

And as mentioned Kelling is not as dark as it was , I preferred the East Harling site TBH.

Steve

Hi DAZ,

Count me in....

Whilst the skies at Lucksall are not the darkest, they are a lot better than Watford.

I go to the Galloway Star Party, the skies there are very dark, it is definitely worth the 800 mile

round trip. The attendees are a great bunch. The camp site owners are extremely helpful.

SGL at Lucksall has a friendly crowd, especially on the subject of "trashing".

Cheers

Adrian

We have been at Lucksall since SGL4 and as Ant has stated 'Lucksall is darker than most people's gardens, but it isn't ALL about the skies' . At SGL8 I was able to view the Horsehead Nebula so the skies are pretty good. The rally field has good electric connections and the owners of the Site give us great support. The addition of the cafe in the last few years has added to the facility.

I certainly hope to be in attendance - clearly we need to think of something special to celebrate the 10th star party.

Mark

On the 20th March 2015 there will be a total eclipse of the Sun from the North Atlantic and Hereford will get a large partial eclipse in excess of 75%. Perhaps we could ask the Sky at Night team to do their programme from the star party although they may prefer to go to the Faeroe Islands or Spitsbergen. Whatever happens the eclipse would certainly make SGL10 a special event.

Mark

Yes March 15th 2015 is a Sunday so will form part of the main weekend. Obviously we have discussed the dates with Lucksall yet. But I would be extremely surprised if the dates weren't over that weekend.

Ant

Archived