Narrowband

Reprocessed Saturn RRGB

Ewan

This is a reprocess of Saturn from 27th, using the R channel for Luminence, lower % in AS!2 so it's a little noisier but i think it has produced a better image overall, Blue toned down a little, hope you like it.

Before :-

post-11075-0-32374500-1369820005_thumb.p

After :-

post-11075-0-03539500-1369820040_thumb.p

Thats a big difference Ewan. The red channel detail really pops out. How many frames did you stack all together? Keeping noise down is the hardest task with Saturn. If you've got another RGB image you could combine in de-roation of images that would help the noise level but only if its decent data.

Very nice touch Ewan and the RRGB definitely brings out some more detail. I've just been doing exactly the same for the last hour or so (going back on my data from 21-22 May) - Also done the restacking in AS!2 and RRGB combine in Winjupos - thought I was going Saturn blind on my monitors at work, but your image has nicely refreshed my eyes!

Badly want some fresh data now, but weather not looking too promising until the w/end :(

Thanks everyone, was worth re doing this run & im happy with the outcome.

Thats a big difference Ewan. The red channel detail really pops out. How many frames did you stack all together? Keeping noise down is the hardest task with Saturn. If you've got another RGB image you could combine in de-roation of images that would help the noise level but only if its decent data.

R - 2700 frames G - 1683 frames B - 1012 frames

That was the only image run i got done that night as Saturn moves so fast.

Yea nice Ewan, good improvement!

Thanks Simon, really finding my legs with processing, there are just so many options to try, i think i now have a good workflow & will in future stick with it.

Cheers llan & everyone else.

The UK weather is now meant to improve once again so hoping to do some comparrison captures, wonder what the outcome of combining 600d @ 640 x 480 & an RGB run, it's good to try new things even if the results are not what you expected.

Very nice Ewan.

You really have brought out the detail of the hex storm and the rings look great.

I know what RGB is but what does the extra R stand for? I feel daft asking lol. I think it's reprocessed but I don't understand why.

Very nice Ewan.

You really have brought out the detail of the hex storm and the rings look great.

I know what RGB is but what does the extra R stand for? I feel daft asking lol. I think it's reprocessed but I don't understand why.

Thanks Michael, well 1st off i have Stuart to thank for pointing this out to me.

The image is made up of Red Red Green Blue channels, you use the Red channel twice as the Red is normally by far the strongest & sharpest signal you capture (is for me), in WinJupos you load in the 4 data channels you are using but as my Luminence channel wasn't very good (Saturn got too low) i have used the Red channel as a substitute.

A note to myself is get more Red data or do the red last & blue 1st.

The only thing i wish i had done was reduce the Blue channel as Saturn is not very blue at all, this to me looks better.

Colour adjusted:-

post-11075-0-05113500-1369916803.png

Last time im posting changes as i am sure people get a little bored keep looking, very sorry.

Last time im posting changes as i am sure people get a little bored keep looking, very sorry.

Not get bored yet and nice to see the evolution/improvements in the image - looking very nice and detailed now, great processing!

Nicely done Ewan but just needs a tweak on contrast and brightness I feel. Hope you don't mind me having a play. I raised black and also white plus some local contrast and noise reduction in image analyser then activated auto rgb balance in registax.

Quite remarkable the detail you've captured Ewan using an 8" scope at 16 degrees elevation.

gallery_4016_412_30953.png

Cheers Stuart, to be honest i hadnt finished adjusting it yet, youve saved me a job :-), oc course i dont mind.

I have come to realise its way too easy to shoot, process & put an image away as complete without squeezing all you can from it, go back to old data & double check as its worth it.

I must admit Stuart i really didnt expect my capture to reveal what it has, ive not seen many Saturns from the 27th to compare with, when i stayed up that mornng the stars were not that twinkley but i think the moon was to the left but low, moisture in the air too, all in all im very happy with it.

Like i said i will take a gamble & shoot BGR then maybe i can get 6-8 mins of the harder blue.

I really want C14 now so anyone wanting to donate one to a good home pm me ;-)

Thanks Michael, well 1st off i have Stuart to thank for pointing this out to me.

The image is made up of Red Red Green Blue channels, you use the Red channel twice as the Red is normally by far the strongest & sharpest signal you capture (is for me), in WinJupos you load in the 4 data channels you are using but as my Luminence channel wasn't very good (Saturn got too low) i have used the Red channel as a substitute.

Wow, so my question to you was'nt so daft after all. :) Thanks for a very clear answer. Had no idea you could double up on the red channel. Certainly helps bring out the detail. I only deal with a colour webcam, but all this extra information is good for the future, aslong as I can remember it all hehe.

And don't be silly about people getting bored with updates. It's great to see you and other members here improve and improve some more on what was already a good image into an even better one. :) Im trying to learn as much as I can so posts like these are great for me.

That is a nice job indeed. May I ask what changed in your workflow and how you came to the information?

Ask away Moxican, overall i was a little neater & careful with the data used, below is a quick run down hope it answers your questions.

I reduced the percentage of selected frames in AS!2 from 40%ish to 30% on the Red channel, 30% Green to 25%, 25% Blue to 15%, the image will have more noise but i can control that to an extent with wavelets & PS, the AP size in ASA!2 was 40 & i used approx 23 points per channel.

Took each stacked channel into Registax 6 wavelets & was very aggressive with the settings then wound them back gradually, when doing this i keep the processing folder open on screen with the 'pre sharpened' image that AS!2 can produce in view, this helps me to gauge my sharpening against AS!2, do this for all 3 channels then go into WinJupos, i am very precise with the video times when doing the Image measurement & because the RGB data has been sharpened it makes life easier aligning the picture to the ouline of Saturn (or other planet), i then use the De Rotate RGB frames.

I must admit i always get AS!2 to produce the sharpened image as well as the normal 'fuzzy' image, i have found using the pre sharpened images then tweaking them gives a good result, this goes against what others may do i might add.

I was hoping to get out tonight but you can feel the moisture in the air so not sure at the mo, will wait another 30 mins.

Archived