Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photographing Saturn

Ok so I've spent the last week taking pics of the moon, getting used to the scope, polar alignment and camera settings!! I've attempted to use stacking software!! My next attempt is going to be taking pics of Saturn.........

Could anyone offer me advice in respect of this, camera settings etc?

Your gonna struggle I think. That isn't to say its not possible, I have managed to bag Jupiter (I think there's a shot in my gallery)

I think the problem you will find is it will be very small with your DSLR, assuming your using the kit in your sig? Most people favour a small chip webcam to give and increase in apparent mag. But it also allows an avi to be taken to help smooth out variations in seeing etc.

I can't recall the settings I used, I think it was a fairly fast shutter speed as its still quite a bright object for a DSLR, the best thing is to experiment.

Don't give up. It's worth a shot, if nothing else it will help you understand the limitations of your current set up. Believe me, I knew my set up wasn't good for planetary but it didn't stop me trying!

Matt,

I think the consensus appears to be that it is a difficult target with DSLR - though certainly not impossible. There's a very interesting thread running with some stunning images of Saturn taken on the Canon 600D by Ilan in Israel -

Fair point to say that excellent seeing and much higher declination will have helped some, enabling him to capture at F25 - but still amongst the best results I have seen from a SW Explorer 200P this year. I believe the capture was done using Canon's EOS Movie Record s/w, rather than BackyardEOS, as it was yielding far higher frame rates.

Definitely worth a look anyway.

You can image Saturn fairly easily if your camera has Live view. It's just a pain on days when it's Dim. I normally had to capture Saturn at 1600 iso in order for the sensor to grab any detail. It's just easy to get a lot of noise in your image.

Archived