SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon? What Moon? (Ha NGC7000 + IC5076, Ha NGC2244 Rosette Nebula)

SteveL

Well, what can I say... great sky last night, apart from that bl__dy great moon. I didnt quite realise just how bright is was goingt o be until I went outside, so I had to quickly change targets and process. The only way to image last night was to use narrowband filters, something I have never had to use before. There are a few targets that are rapidly disappering into the west for this year, so I chose to start with something big and bright.... but was a bit wary because one shot colour CCDs have a reputation for not being so great for narrow band imaging. Both images are a little noisey... partly due to the moon, but also due to the short sequence runs and low sub count.

As a side note, it was incredibly cold last night. In fact, as I was standing on the patio, looking up at the sky, I didnt notice I was actually standing in a puddle from rain earlier in the day. I must have stood there for 10 minutes or so, totally stationary.... when I tried to move, I discovered to my surprise that the puddle had frozen solid, with my boots still in it! Well, it made me laugh :(

NGC7000 North American Nebula + IC5076 Pelican Nebula

OTA: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + 0.8 FR/FF

Guiding: NS8GPS @ f/10 + DSI-C + PHD

Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 6 x 900s

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Had to stop the sequence as it slipped slowly behind the rooftop of a nearby house)

(Click on image for larger version)

ngc7000_ha_20071123.jpg

NGC2244 Rosette Nebula

OTA: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + 0.8 FR/FF

Guiding: NS8GPS @ f/10 + DSI-C + PHD

Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 8 x 900s

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Thin whispy clouds stopped play)

(Click on image for larger version)

ngc2244_ha_20071123.jpg

when I tried to move, I discovered to my surprise that the puddle had frozen solid, with my boots still in it! Well, it made me laugh :lol:

:D :D

I suppose that made you have to stay out imaging all night until the puddle thawed :(

That explains the amazing images, I suppose :shock:

Andrew

The rosette was the one I was after, having done a shortened but reasonable RGB version 10 days ago or so. Was just curious what it looked like in Ha. Maybe I`ll get adventurous later and start doing some Ha blending into my RGB image.

NAN and Pelican was just a target of opportunity while waiting for the Rosette to show itself round the side of the house, but I`m still pleased with it :(

Superb wide field results Steve. That chip is superb. It has a high QE and this is held through pretty well into Ha so it will definitely perform. Greg Parker has also done a great Rosette with the SXV M25 (same chip of course)

I like the reprocess especially the outer areas and the dimmer regions. There are a few sharpening artefacts appearing in the main neb, to my eye anyway.

I agree with KK the QHY 8 is the best imaging bargain around. Will be very interesting to see how the QHY 11 is priced

Archived