2" eyepiece suggestions

Pig

Pig,

The 34mm is a fine eyepiece but it is rather heavy, I don't know if this will give you a problem. If it is anything to go by my Meade cost me 249 pounds in 2008. So they are really cheap.

Alan.

Thank you Alan - I am not sure what the mount can cope with. :smiley:

The Baader steel track that I have is almost a kilo, another 500gms the 2" diagonal :shocked:

Does anyone know an approximate limit ?

I am not sure if you center the weight on this type of fork mount.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is you are in the sort of area that I found myself in. Your scope and mine are much the same, mines just bigger and maybe stronger than the Celestron, I just don't know. When I found myself doing what your are thinking I put a balance system on by ADM, most times it only has a kilo on and that's enough. I would really hate to say you were OK and something happen, but with the focuser and diagonal and big eyepiece, for me it's sailing a bit close.

The trouble is there don't seem to be any info as to how much you can put on these fork mounts, I have looked a good deal in the past and found nothing. If you do buy one and use it I reduce the speed of the slew if you can on yours it will help the motors. I have mine running slower because it makes too much noise, not the weight.

Alan

Alan,

I will look into it (forgive the pun we all look into our scopes :shocked:)

I don't know if I can alter the slew speed either, however, it is the same fork that is used for the 11" and its OTA is about 3 kilo's heavier than my 925.

I think the noise of the motor is a great idea, :smiley: I have a sound meter at work, I will measure the difference incrementally by removing a part at a time.

As for the balance I am not sure !!! I understand the accuracy of the goto suffers if it is out of balance, this may be an indicator.

Thanks

Shaun

Shaun

I hang an Earthwin bino with a pair of TV 24mm Pans off the back of mine and also have the ADM balance rail......and when it's set right, the GOTO is spot on and you cannot hear any undue strain on the gears or motors.

Wouldn't like to try it without the balance though.

By the way there is a correct way to do it......

http://starizona.com/acb/basics/using_balancing_fork.aspx

Guys ,

Thank you, more out of luck than judgement, the scope is perfectly balanced when i put the dew shield on, as I always leave the shield when i am using the scope all will be OK,

The OTA remains perfectly balanced throughout 170 deg in both directions :smiley:

There is also the option to manually set the slew rate.

Thanks again

Shaun

Im not sure still - I do like to stick with the Celestron range, the XCEL LX are great they just do not do 2" :smiley:

All the 2" Celestron eyepieces I have seen are massive, is this the norm ? :shocked:

pretty much ... a lot of glass goes into some, the 31mm Axiom lx could do some right damage if dropped on your foot lol :grin: its a bit of a monster. They still stock the Meade 4000 56mm super plossl 2" which has good reviews and they come up every now and again second hand

http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=356 review of the Meade

Regards to all

Mark

Some 2" eyepieces are not so bulky and heavy, the Skywatcher Aero ED's for example. They work pretty well in slower scopes like SCT's.

The really large ones are designed to try and be astigmatism free in fast scopes and substantial lumps of glass are needed to achieve that and deliver a wide / ultra wide, well corrected field of view.

So you could exploit the slower focal ratio of the SCT and go for a slightly less bulky eyepiece that will still work well.

Hi All,

I'm much the same market but have an f/5 300 Skywatcher Newtonian. Naglers are out of my price range, I have noted that the BST Explorers work well in my scope and are a reasonable price but they stop at around 25mm I was looking to find some wider field 2" eyepieces for larger star clusters etc. At present I have the basic 28mm LET that came with the OTA, but this is a bit lacking on contrast when I compare it with the 1.25" Meade 4000 40mm in my box. Any (reasonable) suggestions welcome, for example how do the Revelation 2" eyepieces sold by telescope house compare, these are clearly rebadged (which does not concern me) are they a good or mediocre eyepiece that has been rebadged?

The Revelation (GSO) Superviews like most budget 2" EPs, are Erfles and they aren't bad at all, for the price. The Skywatcher Panaviews are another of the same. I do note that the longer Erfles seem universally liked, whilst I can't remember much enthusiasm for the 26mm - I sold mine as quick as I bought it and replaced it with a 25mm BST which, to my eyes was better corrected across more of the FOV.

As to how any of the Erfles get on in the F5 12" Dob, is more about expectations. I loved my 32mm Panaview in my 8" F5 Newt, but if I'm being honest, the sheer illumination of the 12" showed up the inherent Erfle astigmatism in the outer 25% FOV in a way the 8" couldn't and it had to go. Don't get me wrong, for a 70deg FOV sub £100 investment, they're as good as you'll get, but as to whether that is good enough for you, is not something anybody else can say, but at the price there's not a lot else.

Buy one second hand - The Panaviews crop up for £55-60 - and if you don't like it, you won't loose anything except postage.

Russell

I use a 23mm Luminos in my refractor with great results for open clusters-pleiades,beehive etc.Found Andromeda galaxy with it & saw its companion very well.These eyepieces have large listed field stop diameters-the 31mm Luminos specs at 47mm which may be of use to you.They are HEAVY though.Vic Maris of Stellarvue suggested this (23mm) eyepiece for me,very cost effective in its class.I paid $250.00 US for it.

• 3 weeks later...

snapback.pngandrew63, on 27 May 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

You could spend a lot on a very nice televue or get one of these maxvision - the 28 and 34 are very good. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Binoculars, telescopes, microscopes, spotting scopes, rangefinders, night dision andrew

These are silly money at the moment for Meade rebrands!

I have the ES 18mm and love that.

Cheers

Wow! Thats a lot of EP for the money, especially if they are decent down to f/5. I've just put an order in for the 34mm.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Wow! Thats a lot of EP for the money, especially if they are decent down to f/5. I've just put an order in for the 34mm.

Thanks for the info.

Steve

Steve, I managed to get some time with the eyepiece last night and I have to say the 34mm is brilliant, the views were breath taking, I am sure you will love it :smiley:

Archived