Banner.jpg.692da9ed9af2eace53e1dc94cfc0e912.jpg

Image of Saturn as I turned 40 (Midlife Crisis) - May 27th 2013

Michael_E

Hi everyone

Today I have reached a milestone that no one really enjoys, and that is my "40th Birthday". I wanted to image Saturn on the midnight hour to make a permenant record of becoming 40 and the start of my "Mid-Life Crisis" hehe.

This is only my second go at Saturn due to the endless bad weather we are all having. There was clouds all over the place last night but I was determined to stick it out whatever the sky conditions. I struggled to get a bright enough image through my SPC900 but on the midnight hour of May 27th 2013 I managed to recorded a very faint Saturn.

And here is the image. 1800 frames collected (used best 60%) and stacked / wavelets through Registax 6.

I know it's not very good, but it has a lot of meaning for me. Thanks for looking.

Saturn - Midnight 27th May 2013

JupiterBig140th26_05_201323_11_51.png

• Like 6

I'd say "happy Saturn return" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_return), but is probably a Uranus return and we don't believe in that guff....

(..if he lived on Saturn he'd be just as old, with a tiny relativity correction, and his pictures would be nowhere near as good - "here's some ammonia ice - too cloudy for anything else")

Otherwise, landmarks (like 40) happen - Saturn might float, so we could say..

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries.

On such a full sea are we now afloat,

And we must take the current when it serves,

Or lose our ventures.

There you go, millstone or milestone, planet of age or experience, Shakespeare or not...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

P

• Like 1

40 OMG how oldddddddddddddddddddd not :-), happy birthday mate & a great capture to boot as well, i have 4 years on you (i think i will have to verify that with the wife as i do forget), i understand what you mean totally, i did an image on the weekend after my mother passed away & when ever i see it i think of her.

Grab some longer avi's michael you will be suprised what you can get with that 6"er.

• Like 1

First of all, thanks to you all for your kind comments and Birthday Wishes. It's just downhill from now on hehehe.

Happy birthday and a great image to go with it. Just think how old you would be if you lived on Saturn.

Thanks Philip R. How old would I be on Saturn? Well I guess it depends what information to look at.

Each day would last 10hrs 39 mins, less than on earth, so I would certainly accumilate more days (nearly double) than I have here on Earth so abit older.

Or if you look at how long it takes to orbit the sun, a year on Saturn would be 29.45 of our Earth years, then I would be a very healthy 1 and a third years old, so a lot younger hehe.

..oh and nice picture seeing it always rains in B-on-T.

P

lol, Sounds like you have been in Burton Upon Trent before. I moved up here from Oxford several years ago, and yes its different weather up here. Wet and Windy.

Great shot, would not think it was with a 6in scope. :smiley:

Thanks Laurie61. I was quite surprised after looking at the avi how much detail I managed to get. My SPC900 does struggle on Saturn though. Think I need something more sensitive. It's knowing what to buy next thats the challenge..

40 OMG how oldddddddddddddddddddd not :-), happy birthday mate & a great capture to boot as well, i have 4 years on you (i think i will have to verify that with the wife as i do forget), i understand what you mean totally, i did an image on the weekend after my mother passed away & when ever i see it i think of her.

Grab some longer avi's michael you will be suprised what you can get with that 6"er.

Thanks Ewan. Yeah it's certainly is a sentimental thing to do, and you did a nice thing after your Mother's passing. Its a nice way to look back at things.

I will try to do longer avi's next time. I was amazed I was able to image anything that night. Think the sky Gods were being kind to me at that time. Been raining ever since lol.

Happy birthday! and a great capture as well.

Thanks for the Birthday message Ilan. Yes I was pleased with how it came out. Glad you liked it too.

Very nice capture Michael. Especially with a 6" scope on an altaz mount.

Happy Birthday for the 27th and welcome to the 40+ Club!

Thanks Bryan. Part of the 40+ club, nice. Do I get a badge with that hehe.

Do you think my 6" scope is limited to the images I can produce? I was kind of hoping I will be able to improve the images when I get better at it.

Thanks Bryan. Part of the 40+ club, nice. Do I get a badge with that hehe.

Do you think my 6" scope is limited to the images I can produce? I was kind of hoping I will be able to improve the images when I get better at it.

No badge I'm afraid Michael, just a life time membership! :wink:

What I meant by my comment was that you have managed to get a better result with your 6" scope than I have managed with my 8" SCT. If you want to see what can be achieved with smaller scopes, check out some of the images by JamesF. He uses a 127 Mak (5") and achieves some very impressive images.

I think it's the same as with most things, some people chase bigger and better to try to improve; others try to get the absolute best possible out of what they have by improving their knowledge and skills & trying to 'tweek' everything to the max.

I'm sure that there is a lot more in your equiment and yourself yet to come!

Keep up the good work & clear skies.

• Like 1

Happy birthday and nice images, Scary , but I can remember turning 40 but that was yesterday I'm sure ! No it was more than 15 years ago. Hang on to your hat because time accelerates . You'll see !!!! Enjoy,

• Like 1

Nice one Michael,well done!

Thanks very much Simon.

No badge I'm afraid Michael, just a life time membership! :wink:

What I meant by my comment was that you have managed to get a better result with your 6" scope than I have managed with my 8" SCT. If you want to see what can be achieved with smaller scopes, check out some of the images by JamesF. He uses a 127 Mak (5") and achieves some very impressive images.

I think it's the same as with most things, some people chase bigger and better to try to improve; others try to get the absolute best possible out of what they have by improving their knowledge and skills & trying to 'tweek' everything to the max.

I'm sure that there is a lot more in your equiment and yourself yet to come!

Keep up the good work & clear skies.

Ahh I see bryan. Well that is good news that I can keep improving using this scope. I will not be able to upgrade to a bigger scope for a while to come, so I will be pushing my scope and SPC900 to the very limits. I will probably need yours and other members help to do that, but I am the sort of person that likes to be able to go as far as I possibly can with what I have. Only problem I have is that since Christmas I have only been able to use my scope 5 times due to the poor weather, so have not been able to practice and experiment with anything yet. Think my processing skills are extremely limited at the moment, so think I might practice on that for a bit.

Happy birthday and nice images, Scary , but I can remember turning 40 but that was yesterday I'm sure ! No it was more than 15 years ago. Hang on to your hat because time accelerates . You'll see !!!! Enjoy,

Thanks Trevor. I understand exactly what you mean about time accelerates. I've found time has been going at a far speed the last 10 years or so. Better start saving up for a zimmer frame and make sure that has GoTo hehe.