Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bank Holiday Sun - 27th May 2013

ilove1995

Made a bit of a school boy error today and captured my solar images set in jpeg instead of raw. 73 frames in all run through PIPP and stacked in Registax 6. Quite pleased with the result considering I captured these at a lower quality setting.

post-26155-0-81461400-1369647114_thumb.j

Also got my spc900 out today with 2.5x barlow and captured around 1200 avi's of a sunspot. Didn't manage to get as much detail as I hoped, perhaps I should of increased the gain in the sharp cap settings?

post-26155-0-18351700-1369647203_thumb.j

Here's an image of what I'm using to capture the Sun. I recently made a filter for my Telrad which is proving to be really useful.

post-26155-0-47933700-1369647475_thumb.j

Al

You're not hanging around there :) I was tempted to try to get something, but there's 80% cloud cover at least and I'd be waiting for ages to get enough useful subs. Shame about the JPEG problem. It does to my eye rob the image of some definition, but I think you've still got a reasonable image there even so.

Looks like you're using pretty much the same kit as me. I see you've even done the mod to remove the additional gears from the DEC drive :)

James

The weather is good here in the SouthEast today. May try to get something later this evening if it holds out.

All the mods made to the gears were done by another SGL member who I bought the setup from second hand. Really pleased with how it all performs. :smiley:

Thanks all.

I agree with you Roger, there are certain benefits to shooting in jpeg. The camera captures images faster and Registax seems to cope better with the alignment and stacking.

Could anyone recommend what Sharpcap settings work best using an spc900 to get closeups of SunSpots? The captures I got all came out rather soft.

Al

I think the "soft" sunspots may simply be down to poor seeing. I'm not far from you and the seeing today (and the last few days) was pretty awful. I used to use an SPC900 and have managed some good sunspot videos with it.

Archived