Moon, 27th May

JamesF

As the Moon wasn't going to clear the barn roof until about 1:30am I was out and ready for it last night, watching the shadows move across the garden so I could be ready to go the moment it was clear allowing me time to get all the subs I wanted. The only real difficulty was the same as last night: keeping the image on the sensor given so few pixels to spare. It's all so much easier when the Moon is away from perigee :) The seeing looked pretty good -- perhaps unsurprising given quite how cold it was. I reckon the 450D runs as much as 5C warmer than the ambient air temperature when taking a long sequence of subs and APT still only said 13C after I'd been using the camera for several hours. Welcome to midsummer :(

Pain-free processing this morning and I'm quite happy with the end result. I did try tweaking the contrast slightly, but to my eye whilst it did enhance some of the detail on the eastern side there was a corresponding loss on the western side as shadowed features became harder to pick out so I've left it as it was.

moon-2013-05-27-small.png

120 frames of 1/200th @ ISO200, 450D & 127 Mak, preprocessed with PIPP, 48 frames stacked in Registax v6.

James

That looks excellent James. It always amazes me the amount of detail you get out of full and nearly full Moons.

As our works broadband is slower than a snail on a go slow, I will have to wait until I get home to have a look at the full image.

Here's to clear skies & many hours of observation/imaging to come! emo30.gif

Archived