Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A bit of help needed with Atik 16IC

lensman57

Hi,

I have aquired a used Atik 16 lc, last night I tried to frame M51 after having made sure the GoTo was doing its job, Once I looped the exposure at 15s there was nothing on the little screen of the Artemis capture but noise. How can I make sure that I have the target in the screen ?

I appreciate any help please.

Regards,

A.G

What scope and guide system were you using?

I have both the ATiK16ic and the ATiK16icS - the ATiK16ic is used with a 135mm telelens under Artemis as an electronic finder.

I use AstroArtV5 with the other ATiK's for spectroscopic data collection, but I would have assumed you'd get some image with a 15 sec sub.

Did you do some darks?

Even if you're off-target you should be picking up random field stars unless you're very out of focus.

What i'd do is visually centre a bright (1st magnitude) star in a high-power eyepiece, then swap to the 16ic and run an exposure. Even if you're very out of focus you should see a defocused disk on the screen; if you're not even getting that then there's likely some issue with the CCD talking to the computer.

Even if you're off-target you should be picking up random field stars unless you're very out of focus.

What i'd do is visually centre a bright (1st magnitude) star in a high-power eyepiece, then swap to the 16ic and run an exposure. Even if you're very out of focus you should see a defocused disk on the screen; if you're not even getting that then there's likely some issue with the CCD talking to the computer.

This is how I do it, with such a small chip sky alignment is critical. Generally a 1 or 2 sec exposure (Through a UHC-S filter) and I get stars in or out of focus.

Many thanks for the reply,

I have tested the camera during the day time on terestial objects and it does pick them up at 0.001s. I also did center Alkaid and focused it the best way I could before slewing for M51 but could not pick anything up there.. BTW is there a focus aid in Artemis capture ?

Reagrds,

A.G

Regards

A.G

Many thanks for the reply,

I have tested the camera during the day time on terestial objects and it does pick them up at 0.001s. I also did center Alkaid and focused it the best way I could before slewing for M51 but could not pick anything up there.. BTW is there a focus aid in Artemis capture ?

Reagrds,

A.G

Regards

A.G

double click on a star a focus aid will pop up

mark

Are you sure you were actually pointing at the target. They are often very easy to miss if your alignment is slightly off. The amount of hours I have wasted trying line my CCD up with finder scope etc etc etc hunting for stars with continous exposure tapping the NESW keys ;)

Archived