Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

Complete newbie having problems with finderscope align

Hi All,

Complete newbie so please dont overlook the blindingly obvious but I am having problems setting up the finderscope on a celestron nexstar 6se. (PS had it bolted the wrong way round at first LOL)

Last night I tried it with the moon, today with a distant street light same problem, OK here is what I am doing.

(1) with the telescope main eyepiece I am getting the object in the centre of the view

(2) turning on the finderscope LED, I see a red dot in the centre of the scope, use the x and y knobs to try and get the red dot to the same position as the object centred in the main eyepiece

No matter what I try the finderscope reaches its end stop before the red dot is in the correct position. I have checked the mount, remounted it still same problem

Am a little stuck

Any ideas anyone

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave. If you you are running out of adjustment, you could try two things.

If you are running out of up/down movement, you could shim one end (thin card, plastic etc) of the mount itself where it bolts to the tube, or where the finder shoe fits into the mount.

If you are running out of left/right movement, you could try rotating the finder mount a tad, where it bolts to the telescope tube.

If this doesn't sort it, perhaps here could help - http://www.bedfordschool.org.uk/default.asp?page=1564

Hope you find a fix, Ed.

Hi All,

Thanks for your great advice, the shim idea makes a lot of sense to me as it will only needs a mm or so for it to work, will give it a go and see tonight :smiley:, Without the finderscope we have only managed to find the moon so far LOL, but wow what an amazing sight that was

Cheers

Dave