Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new scope & set up

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really cool, Shaun.

Excuse my confusion here, but I noticed that some people, including you :), have this ''double focuser'' - on the actual rear plate and one on the eyepiece focuser? Did you upgrade? I'm thinking about the same...

Thank you Imad,

I got it when I upgraded my Nexstar 6SE

Its a Baader steeltrak dual focuser - it is much better for AP due to SCT mirror flop during long exposures.

I dont do any AP. However, you can get the focus absolutely spot on for general /planetary use :grin:

The eyepiece focuser will rarely get used other than for the initial set up.

The Crayford is set in the middle of its travel leaving enough adjustment in both directions for further focussing

Thanks, Shaun!

OK, let me get this clear. Years of experience doesn't mean I know it all...especially when it comes to Schmidt Cassegrains... So basically, if I get dual speed focuser - I think the Revelation version is almost half the price - I won't be needing to use the standard rubber knob?

I guess it'll make attaching and deattaching 2/1.25" diagonals and eyepieces as well as cameras despite weight an easier task...

Spot on Imad,

One other thing you must consider for AP before buying one

The focuser I have has a lock for the travel,

This can be very important for AP as some focusers can slide outward whilst slewing due to the weight of the attached camera

Good stuff........have you had a squint through it yet ?

Yes :smiley:

For some reason the weather was kind to me, I manged to use it on the first night I had it. Totally blown away with the views :grin:

Spot on Imad,

One thing you must consider for AP,

The focuser I have has a lock for the travel,

This can be very important for AP as some focusers can slide outward whilst slewing due to the weight of the attached camera

Cool, seems the way to go. I'll look into this and it guess I'll end up with one :) I was thinking with the current focuser the telescope will be like a droopy pair of pants if I wanted to attach for example the Baader 35mm Scopos eyepiece....it's at least 1 Kg. :D

Yes :smiley:

For some reason the weather was kind to me, I manged to use it on the first night I had it. Totally blown away with the views :grin:

Enjoy the clear weather while my mount is away. Once it's back, you'll hate me :D

So basically, if I get dual speed focuser - I think the Revelation version is almost half the price - I won't be needing to use the standard rubber knob?

No, you use the moving mirror for rough focus and Crayford for fine focus. Generally, SCT Crayfords have ridiculously short focus travel (only 20-30mm), so often you need to rough focus with mirror focuser and then fine tune it with Crayford. This is especially true if your eyepiece and accessories are not parfocal.

No, you use the moving mirror for rough focus and Crayford for fine focus. Generally, SCT Crayfords have ridiculously short focus travel (only 20-30mm), so often you need to rough focus with mirror focuser and then fine tune it with Crayford. This is especially true if your eyepiece and accessories are not parfocal.

I heard that the SCT third party focusers tend to shift when the telescope is pointing to the zenith?

I heard that the SCT third party focusers tend to shift when the telescope is pointing to the zenith?

It depends on the quality of the Crayford, some can slip while others will hold quite a heavy load.

SCT mirror flop is a separate issue but not too serious in Chinese made SCT. Older US made SCT seems to suffer more mirror shift and mirror flop. Mirror flop is the reason for introducing mirror lock in high end SCT tubes

I have the same set up keith, and I never use the sct focuser anymore never need it, that's once its set up of course

I take it you didn't read my signature

What a plonker I am :grin:

Its almost the same - Do you have any balance / weight issues with all the gear on ?

I did but I made a counter balance system. when I had my nirvana and telextender on aiming for the zenith you could here the gears going faster lol. works a treat now to be honest

just read your status did you see any colour in the ring nebula. also be very carefull with the supplied 12v power lead as mine failed after about 10 sessions

Gosh, is this industry made to be upgraded all thr time?!

I didnt see any colour it was just grey, However, when I attached my UHC OIII lumicon filter it had a blue green tinge to it and the ring itself was a lot clearer :smiley:

Gosh, is this industry made to be upgraded all thr time?!

It does seem that way

£170 for counterweights :shocked:

I am going to buy some of them adhesive black wheel balance weights and stick them to my dew shield on the notched end. This will be very cheap and will be hardly noticed :smiley:

Archived