SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

the yesyes observatory - the build

yesyes

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You deserve to be proud of your build Chris :)  Great job :)  My concrete pier is still just plain concrete too (though round rather than square) - I'm quite happy with it as it is :)  I agree that round mounting plates for your pier would look better.  I was lucky to sourse round steel plates for mine :D

Thanks for the nice words. ;-)

I'm also particularly pleased that my wife finds the obsy nice looking and has given her final approval. (I should probably get this in writing :D )

I guess she expected something like this in plain sight at the end of our rather small garden. :evil:

post-2143-0-70706700-1392752142.jpg

I do sense some. well hostility is too strong a word, lets say negativity following my comments, as if lots have rallied round Chris to back him up etc.  My comments based on the pictures were just my opinion, and in the case if the garden light, will be made good by the trunking others have suggested.  I didn't want them to come over as being negative, or degrading.

Chris, you have every right to be proud of what you've done... it is a solid, well designed and constructed building.  The hobby / warm room is well equipped and will provide you with years of enjoyment.  I would rank this build as one of the best builds on SGL, and no doubt will become an inspiration to a lot of people who visit this site, both now and in the future.

At the end of the day, it's your build and if you are happy with it then that my friend is all that matters....  

No hostility or negativity from my side. I do appreciate constructive criticism. The forum would be of not much use if everyone always just said "yes, great, well done". I posted my build mostly to get some advice from people who have done this before, not (just) to brag about it and be praised (ok, ok, there is a small element of bragging but who wouldn't if they are proud of what they've achieved). ;)

So pointing out any mistakes, shortcomings or even potential danger is what I was after. What I do with that advice is then up to me as I need to be happy with the build.

This has been one of the best posts I've followed and loved the fact that this forum is here to show what goes right and what goes wrong with a custom build, most people if there honest have had to make changes from there original plans for some reason or another. I learnt a lot when I first started my warm room with a pier outside build and share the pain and the glory of trying to make something unique to fit the space and budget available. I would love to build something like this and maybe one day I will this sort of thing is what makes this hobby interesting during cloudy nights and days.

P.s. My favourite part of this build was when the planning people gave you the go ahead to continue after some moron watched you build this and then decided to complain when it was nearly complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second the sentiment of Malc-C. A good build, a good build diary and a good attitude to comments and suggestions from beginners and experienced builders alike. You should rightly be proud of your achievement (I have no observatory) and SGL should be proud to have you.........respect dude  :icon_salut:

I do sense some. well hostility is too strong a word, lets say negativity following my comments, as if lots have rallied round Chris to back him up etc.  My comments based on the pictures were just my opinion, and in the case if the garden light, will be made good by the trunking others have suggested.  I didn't want them to come over as being negative, or degrading.

Chris, you have every right to be proud of what you've done... it is a solid, well designed and constructed building.  The hobby / warm room is well equipped and will provide you with years of enjoyment.  I would rank this build as one of the best builds on SGL, and no doubt will become an inspiration to a lot of people who visit this site, both now and in the future.

At the end of the day, it's your build and if you are happy with it then that my friend is all that matters....  

no hostility from me either, i had some strange comments from one guy that only joined the forum to tell me that my outside wiring was useless but didn`t tell me what was wrong or how to fix it, i don`t mind constructive comments as i didn`t or wasn`t sure that i had put the outside plug connectors the wrong way round, then a lovely forum member noticed the mistake and comments and sent me his own connector that he wasn`t using as i couldn`t find one available to buy. 

i also think that unless you have alot of cash to throw at these builds you have to use the cheaper alternatives, i would have loved a altair astro metal pier but at £500 plus adapter was way over budget so had to think up the 8" waste pipe method filled with concrete, total price came to less than £120 but took a little thinking about which to me is very much part of the fun of these builds.

heh, no. I'm an IT/telecoms customer support engineer. I sit on a computer all day. I've never done anything like this project before.

Chris - I thought you got your hands dirty the way you cabled the obsy :)

I'm in the same industry, but tend to do 50:50 project work (well I did before being made redundant :( ) - This was a  comms room build I did - circa ten years ago

post-10726-0-79391400-1393072987_thumb.j

I was about to declare the actual build finished. Then I realised that an obsy can't be finished when the telescope hasn't been installed yet. ;-)

So I'll have to keep this thread running for a bit longer.

Anyway, I've started moving in last weekend.

post-2143-0-26199000-1393273501_thumb.jppost-2143-0-54085500-1393273523_thumb.jp

Half cork half dry-wipe board for those all-important notes

post-2143-0-88325000-1393273589_thumb.jp

Telescope control desk (excuse the mess of bags on the floor)

post-2143-0-35718300-1393273657_thumb.jp

Electronics tinkering corner

post-2143-0-97850200-1393273689_thumb.jp

Started putting electronic components into the drawer cabinet, let's see how long I can keep up that order :D

post-2143-0-56824200-1393273755_thumb.jp

I labelled the circuits in the fuse box and on each socket.

post-2143-0-59597200-1393273888_thumb.jppost-2143-0-81354100-1393273898_thumb.jp

And I even got a GPS fix on my observatory clock ;)

post-2143-0-60253700-1393273962_thumb.jp

Archived