SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

the yesyes observatory - the build

yesyes

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question...

How does one weatherproof the hinge side of the front door? On the other 3 sides I will just make the shiplap a bit longer so it overlaps but I can't do that on the hinge side.

Any suggestions, please? ;)

If you have a strip of roof rubber left you could attach it to the hinge side of the door and allow it to slightly overlap the door post - maybe by an inch or so - across the "gap" that needs weatherproofing.  The stiffness of the rubber should keep it flat against the surface.  When the door is opened there should be sufficient flexibility in the rubber to allow it to bend out of the way as the door opens.

(Now you know why almost all outside doors on houses open inwards!! :p )

Yes, I was thinking about that. I just have to try that and hope it doesn't get in the way.

(Now you know why almost all outside doors on houses open inwards!! :p )

The idea was to have all doors open away from the scope room to avoid collisions between scope and door. Maybe it was not such a good idea... Time will tell... ;)

Off-cuts of rubber from from the roof are useful for all sorts of things :)  Same applies to off-cuts of springy rubber floor tiles :)  I recycle whatever I can :D

The roll-off roof itself will take the function of that board above the door. My front door is on the scope room below the roll-off roof. (this will still be cladded)

post-2143-0-79272300-1381860061_thumb.jp

I'm mostly worried about the vertical gap along the hinged side. There will be a small inner frame to air seal the door. But if water runs in there, it's already inside the obsy, which I would like to avoid.

Or did I misunderstand your post? ;)

Looking good Chris. My door opens outwards for the Sam reason yours does. If you fit the door stops fairly snug up to the door most water will be stopped. You can then pin P seals to the sides of the door which will completely stop it. A weatherstrip across the bottom of the door will keep water away. I haven't got P strips on yet but my door stops are doing a fine job of keeping the rain out, although I will still fit them when I get the chance just to be sure.

I have a length of batten that runs along the side of the shed where the door is and it has the rubber from the roof wrapped over it, to act as a run-off (thanks to Gina for that tip during my build).  As for the door, well there's just a simple inner frame.  So far so good - we've had a fair bit of wind and rain since I finished the observatory in March and no signs of any water getting in.

Like everyone else the offcuts from the rubber roof have been carefully stored away just in case.

But I would be so disappointed if you didn't apply a modicum of over-engineering. :smile:

I think I found a solution. The offcuts from the roof rubber seem to work well but on the inside. On the outside it would bulge too much and I would need to leave a bigger gap in the cladding between door and wall.

post-2143-0-22825300-1381948220_thumb.jppost-2143-0-41792500-1381948213_thumb.jp

Archived