Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

web cam choice

Hi everyone i wonder if anybody can help me. i have read that by putting a web cam into the eyepiece section of a telescope you will be able to capture images on to a laptop. first of all is this possible & second what is an ideal web cam to obtain. i currently have a skywatcher 130 m which i recently acquired . any help advice would be appreciated. snoops

Hi mr snoops,

Some members on this site are using xbox webcams, whilst others are using Phillips Vesta, SPC880, Toucam II. There is a list of what webcams are suitable on the internet (apologies, I cannot remember the link). You will need a nosepiece/mogg adaptor too and an IR blockinh filter. When you order your adaptor you will need to specify your webam. The reason being is that you will unscew and remove the lens from the webcam and replace it with the adaptor ad the threads can vary in length and possibly thread. Years ago CCD webcsms was the way to go, but with advances in chip designs CMOS webcams can be utilised too.

Hope this helps,

Philip.

Thanks for all of your replies, still being a novice im amazed how much info there is to digest. So i am going to sit down later & find out which web cam is suitable for my scope, thanks again

Hi

I have and still use a cheap cam I bought from Tesco (other supermarkets are available!) I did use it for planetary work but it is now used as a guide cam. Hi have a Logitech 4000 Pro for imaging.

Not sure if this applies to your scope but I do know that it is difficult to reach focus with a DSLR attached due to the limited travel on the focuser/position of the primary mirror.

As for the modification I didn't bother with the special nosepiece adaptor I just found a piece of plastic (old film canister cut open at closed end), removed webcam lens by unscrewing and hot-glued the 'adaptor' in place.

HTH

Jamie

Archived