Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Paul G. Abel

Venus this afteroon

Greetings all,

Please find a drawing of Venus I made this afternoon. I used setting circles to find the planet, and this is probably the largest phase I have ever observed the planet (~97%)! Seeing wasn't great, but it was nice to make a start on the current elongation.

Illuminated disk: Seemed to contain some subtle shadings- one darker one near the limb though it is hard to be sure.

Unilluminated Disk: Not seen

Terminator: Geometrically regular

Cusp Caps: NPC seemed to be brighter

Cusp Collars: NP collar seemed to be marginally more prominent, hard to be certain.

Best wishes,

-Paul

Venus_2013_05_25_1340_Visual_PAbel_zpscf34f891.jpg

Edited by Paul G. Abel

Nice drawing and information it was also dam good going to find it Paul, all I have ever managed in daylight is the Moon, hardly anything to shout about.

Alan.

Edited by alan potts

That is impressive sketch Paul especially considering how close Venus is currently to the Sun. I know tonight we should be able to pick up Venus, Mercury and Jupiter, all close together, after sunset.

Mark

A little sidetrack from the nice sketch by Paul but I saw all three that Mark flagged up to me, hanging out my bedroom window. The hill and barn gets in the way this time of the year from groundlevel. Venus is difficult to miss but I think when I finish the oservatory I will try it in the day with the Goto on the Meade or with a laptop.

A new one of the to do list.

Alan

That is impressive sketch Paul especially considering how close Venus is currently to the Sun.

I agree. Very impressive.

James