Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To Barlow or not to Barlow

Could someone please let me know if using an xbox webcam or a SPC900nc cam if its best to use a x2 Barlow or not when trying to image??

wheather it be lunar or planets!!

Only have a x2 at moment.

skywatcher 130p, EQ2,

I'd go for it mate but only with the planets, with the moon you'll only get sections with a barlow & have to do a mosaic. Its also best to have a motor on the ra as its a nightmare to track manually while messing about with focus & capture software all at the same time.

Steve

Cheers,

I did try to catch the moon with the xbox webcam the other night with the x2 Barlow but unfortunatly even after stacking and focusing the pic was awful...just a big blob of white!!

Yes, i did only get a small section in but i thought it would have turned out better??? Hoping iv modded it correctly cuz when it was in the focal tube and running on the PC there was a bright light coming from it....i assumed it was the moon but now wondering if iv killled all the lights on the motherboared correctly??...any ideas???

What you can get away with depends on the aperture you're using, but with the SPC900 the ideal focal ratio is somewhere around f/35 to f/40. I managed that sort of focal ratio with my 127 Mak though I started from an easier place given that the native focal ratio is around f/11. If you can make it work, go for it.

You might find this helpful:

http://www.tanstaafl.co.uk/2012/03/focal-ratio-capture-length-planetary-imaging/

James

Archived