Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 2" Diagonal - Advice

Pig

How do they compare to the one that came with the scope ?

from my experience once you've started using 2" diagonals you dont want to go back to 1.25". The the one that comes with the telescope feels flimsy, if not cheap. Optically, it functions OK. Call me blind, but with a third party item, I noticed 5/10% improvement. I guess for faint objects this might gives you a slightly better view. Like said, I prefer 2 inch diagonals with compression rings...more versatile at least.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used several 2" diagonals - optically, they've all worked well. The main difference is build quality and ergonomics - my favourite is the Baader 2" Clicklock - excellent build quality, and i find the rotate-to-clamp mechanism is much nicer than thumbscrews.

I think Rowans answer and Johns advice with regard to secondhand is where I would go. I too have seen many good diagonals on Astro B&S in recent weeks. I have never seen an astronomer that does not look after his kit. Unlessless you include me , I have had a few accidents of late.

Alan

I think Rowans answer and Johns advice with regard to secondhand is where I would go. I too have seen many good diagonals on Astro B&S in recent weeks. I have never seen an astronomer that does not look after his kit. Unlessless you include me , I have had a few accidents of late.

Alan

Thank you Alan that's a very good point :grin: i am " more than " sure you do too :smiley:

I will look for secondhand also it seems worth a go

i bought a 2" revalations diagonal and found it very good indeed, sold it and bought the baader clicklock which is lovely and a little stiffer, but opticaly there is not much in it

I have 2" dielectric diagonals by William Optics, Tele Vue and Revelation. They vary in build quality from superb (Tele Vue) to pretty good (Revelation) and their prices new vary from £250 (Tele Vue) to £98 (Revelation). They all have compression ring fittings on both the 2" and 1.25" apertures. In terms of optical performance I really can't tell them apart at all :rolleyes2:

I have Astro-Physics, William Optics, and Revelation 2" dielectrics and would agree - I can't tell them apart optically. In value for money terms the Revelation is certainly the winner; the WO adds some CF bling and looks good but IMO isn't any better made than the Revelation and was (I think) £30-40 more, while the AP is beautifully machined but considerably more expensive and if there's an optical difference it is very small.

Only criticism of the Revelation is that i'm not very keen on the odd recessed 2"-1.25" adapter, but that's a minor quibble really.

This is how i use mine.Works well

for imaging.

Steve

Begs the question why don't you just fit the QHY directly to the focuser and you'll get a better image ??

The scope i use it with is the C11.

Trying to focus is the main problem.

The thing you need is a flip mirror.

You end up on your knees all the time,

doing it the other way.I have tried it.

It also gives you a longer F/L, so i dont

need a barlow with imaging.

Steve. :icon_mrgreen:

I have Astro-Physics, William Optics, and Revelation 2" dielectrics and would agree - I can't tell them apart optically. In value for money terms the Revelation is certainly the winner; the WO adds some CF bling and looks good but IMO isn't any better made than the Revelation and was (I think) £30-40 more, while the AP is beautifully machined but considerably more expensive and if there's an optical difference it is very small.

Only criticism of the Revelation is that i'm not very keen on the odd recessed 2"-1.25" adapter, but that's a minor quibble really.

I must admit I am guilty of having quite a lot of bling in my genes :grin: and for some strange reason i find it important :shocked:

I am off to China next Saturday so I may wait until then, at least that gives me time to choose.

i bought a 2" revalations diagonal and found it very good indeed, sold it and bought the baader clicklock which is lovely and a little stiffer, but opticaly there is not much in it

The do look great, but the one I have seen online is £250 which is a tad more than I want to pay :smiley:

I must admit I am guilty of having quite a lot of bling in my genes :grin: and for some strange reason i find it important :shocked:

The WO carbon fibre one won't disappoint then, does look nice - i've got both the 1.25" and 2" versions of it :)

Yeah it all comes down to build quality, smoother edges and bling :D

If you wanted the less expensive option in the UK, this looks remarkably similar to the TS diagonal http://www.telescope..._Quartz_LX.html

I have one for my C8 (on alt/az) and it stays on and in position. It works well, has compression rings for holding the EP (both 2" and in the 1.25" adapter), the only thing that causes me angst is that the screws for the compression rings are not captive, and I've almost lost them on more than one occassion :eek: on my hands and knees the next morning, rifling through the grass :D

I don't know about the screws on the WO, but they're generally a gentle upgrade in fit and finish, so if that's worth the extra £ to you, then you probably won't be disappointed with the WO.

The WO carbon fibre one won't disappoint then, does look nice - i've got both the 1.25" and 2" versions of it :)

I think i'll go for the WO then - I cant wait for a whole week :laugh:

I got a 2" Williams carbon dielectric a couple of months ago. Great piece of kit. I had looked at the Baader 2", but couldn't justify the extra cost. You could get a Baader 2" Quicklock and the WO "2 Carbon diagonal for the same price as it would cost you just for the Baader "2 diagonal.

And the beauty of the WO diagonal is that it comes supplied with a 1.25 converter included in the price. If you went for the Baader you would have to pay an extra £50ish for the privilege.

Archived