Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Documentaries to watch?!

I have to say that i like the tv series "The Universe". Not sure if it is still on tv, but you can buy the boxsets. You may even be able to watch it online. Do a search for it. Its not too "heavy" for beginners.

If you have digital tv...........there are loads of shows on Discovery etc about astronomy.

One of the digital channels recently had a 'Space' themed weekend, and these things tend to get repeated at regular intervals, so keep an eye on Discovery channel and the others. The only problem I found is that some of the documentaries had to sensationalise the subject - what would happen if an asteroid came our way etc. Oh, and anything by Brian Cox is worth a look.

Books.

Olly

Spot on - you can always go back to a book.

Alan

Despite it showing its age, Carl Sagan's Cosmos has to be in any astronomer's collection- the man is a legend. I'm also halfway through watching From the Earth to the Moon, which is a 13 episode drama/documentary about the moon landings. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I enjoyed Edge of the Universe (on 4OD for free in the UK). OK its pitched at a pretty basic level, but I learnt some stuff from it! I am always on the lookout for good free material.

I also second Stephen Hawkings universe. OK it can be a bit cheesy at times (crash zoom into Hawkings eye etc) but I was impressed with the visuals and narration.

I will be checkout out the links given above, I love free stuff to watch when I'm bored.

i really liked the bbc series " wonders of the solar system" and the "wonders of the universe" with prof cox. some dont like him ,but i found his programme a great watch .i have both the books that go along with the series ,that are also pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wonders-Collection-DVD-Brian/dp/B004NRYWBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369556880&sr=8-1&keywords=wonders+of+the+universe

Brian Cox's stuff is good, but I'm surprised nobody has said COSMOS, that is better than any of Cox's stuff. You can't beat Sagan!

they have .

Despite it showing its age, Carl Sagan's Cosmos has to be in any astronomer's collection- the man is a legend. I'm also halfway through watching From the Earth to the Moon, which is a 13 episode drama/documentary about the moon landings. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

:smiley:

Archived