Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bins for astronomy and nature watching ?

cpper

Hello :)

I like stargazing and animal watching so I decided to buy a pair of binoculars for both of my hobbies.

I know that the astronomy bins are different of the nature ones.

I studied a lot about bird watching/nature/astronomy bins,and my conclusion is that I need bright ,porro bins with:

* ~7mm exit pupil,meaning:

* 8x-10x power (fixed zoom),

* 56mm-70mm front lens size(for low light conditions);

* BAK-4 prisms;

* Multicoated or fullymulticoated lens;

* Wide FOV.

Am I right ?

I don't need waterproof, and the size and weight don't matter(I'm used to big,heavy lens). I found the Nikon Action VII 10x50 but I think they are to dim for astronomy,altough they have a large FOV...

My budget is 150$/118 euro, I know that good bins are more expensive,but I can't afford them.

Can someone give me an advice ?

And one more thing,is it such a big difference bewtween 8x and 10x magnification ? And how is the magnification calculated ? By dividing the distance to an object by 8 times , for example , or by dividing the distance 8 times by 2 ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello cpper and welcome to SGL.

A few weeks ago I did an exchange with another member on this site via the 'classifeds' and got a pair of Revalation "ASTRO" 20x80 binoculars. They are BIG! I would also recommend you get a sturdy Manfrotto/Bogen or maybe Benbo tripod too if you don't already have one. There are of course other brands too that you may know of that I don't.

The binoculars are 'staight' (ie don't have angled eyepieces) so for observing things at the the zenith/overhead maybe a minor issue and there are accessories that can make viewing easier without playing the game Twister at the same time.

They are great for tracking Jupiters four main sattelites (Io, Europa, Gannymede & Callisto), Saturn (I think Titan too). As the weather has been damn awful most nights and not that dark this time of year, I have not had that much chance to use them on anything else apart from aircraft spotting.

I'm not a big fan of porro prisms, but that's a personal thing. Visually I've used both 8x42s and 10x42s and to be honest there isn't that much notable difference in terms of detail. However, as you are after a pair at the cheaper end of the market, I would recommend you go for the 8x as these will give a brighter view in both twilight and night. I personally use a pair of 8x42 for both nature and astronomy and find them more than adequate. The great thing about binoculars is they're easy to try out. Go down to your local optics dealer and try a few... Seriously the best ones are the ones you like best. Something that's important with binoculars is how they feel in your hand; are they comfortable? would you feel happy holding them for long periods of time? This really is an important factor when choosing binoculars. Hope you get what you're after! Andy

Most nature users use 8 x 42 after all you will be walking around with them so you don't need them heavy. Again it seems many birders use roof prisms for the same reason. however at the price point you are entering porro prisms will be better optically and I am not sure which country you are from I will guess at the usa because you said dollars and your english is so good. some of the bushnell ones come highy commended. Welcome to sgl I think it was the bushnell legend bins i read about http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421386-REG/Bushnell_120842_8x42_Legacy_WP_Binocular.html

I am from Romania,South Est Europe. I said dollars because "LEI" doesn't sounds familiar to anyone here I think.

Thanks for the responses :) I will take into account your advice.

One more thing: Is a 8x56 bin exactly bright as a 9x63 or 10x70 ?(Lets say the others specs are the same)

I think i am right in saying that the 70mm will be brighter as it has bigger apparture and lets more light in. The exit pupil however remains the same in all of them I am trying to explain this but i am not sure i have it right as physics isn't my strong suit but i think you are getting 53mm of light squashed into a 7mm hole then 63mm then 70mm so if I have it right the 70mm will be brighter thats assuming your pupils are 7mm. don't sweat someone will be along in a bit who knows what they are talking about

Hello Cpper,

Can you buy Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50s either used or new old stock? These should be under your budget and give good views if the objective lenses are not badly scratched. They are heavy to carry about for birding though. For bird watching I would prefer 8 x 42. If you can look through the binoculars and hold them then I would not hesitate to buy used.

Regards

Derek

I can't find in my country second hands bins :(

But what do you think about this bins ?

I searched on astromagazin.ro, and just this ones follow my preferences. Is one of them better than the Nikon Action VII 10x50 ?

Bresser Corvette 10x50

Omegon Farsight 10x50

Orion 12x60

Ok,I know this one isn't 10x50,but what do you think about it ?

Archived