Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Field of View

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new scope and have come down to two.

One has a 4.9 degree field of view, one has a 3.4 degree field of view.

Please can someone illustrate what that looks like e.g. By using Orion or Orion nebula or any other visual way to show this please?

Thanks

Simon

Others may be more helpful, but if you got a PC handy Stellarium can simulate this sort of thing for you. There are even vids on youtube but the Stellarium Wiki explains how to configure the program to setup eyepies and telescopes. Easy to do to get an idea, or perhaps I misunderstood the question and the experts will be along shortly :)

Cheers.

Yes, you need to consider what eyepieces you'll be using with the OTA. I'd imaging that BGOs aren't likely, but there'd probably be a noticeable difference between an eyepiece with a 50 degree field of view and 100 degree field of view in the same scope.

James

The field of view you get will depend on the eyepiece and the magnification.

AFoV = (Eyepiece FoV)/(Magnification)

Note to utter indifference to the scope FoV :eek: :eek: :eek:

Same applies when people say a fast scope has a wide field of view, the scope speed does not factor in the FoV you actually see.

The field of view you get will depend on the eyepiece and the magnification.

AFoV = (Eyepiece FoV)/(Magnification)

Note to utter indifference to the scope FoV :eek: :eek: :eek:

Same applies when people say a fast scope has a wide field of view, the scope speed does not factor in the FoV you actually see.

I think you mean True Field of View (TFoV) = (Eyepiece FoV)/(Magnification)

The eyepiece FoV is the apparent one (AFoV)

Archived