Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

johnrt

NGC 7023 Iris Nebula (Collaboration)

Evening all,

Hope you like the following imageput together by myself and fellow forumite jnc71106 (Jake). My part of the data was captured way back in 2011 using an Orion ED80TCF and my mono Atik 314l+. It consisted of 8.5 hours of LRGB data. Recently Jake shared his Lum data with me, also shot using an ED80 & Atik 314l+ which jumped the exposure time up to a shade under a respectable 12 hours.

I processed the image in both Pixinsight and CS5, making use of the new (very powerful) TGVDenoise tool in PI RC7 and a great tutorial from Austrian Pixinsight Jedi Gerald Wechselberger. The video is a bit of a Pixelmath master class on enhancing background nebula and dust clouds without pushing stars in the image. Take a look for yourselves! http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=5384.0

Here's our image, I hope you enjoy it!

8806611782_ee26d6b9d2_c.jpg

• Like 15

Lovely image :)

This is a superb example of one of my favourite subjects. Just wish I could produce one as good. Ron

wow thats a bit special John glad i could help out with the data. you have done a superb job with the processing

That really is a lovely image. Cracking processing and well worth the collaboration. The amount of data really shows in the smoothness.

That's a very beautiful image! I got lost in the stars! Stunning! :)

Thank you everyone for the great comments and encouragement! The quest for dust is not over just yet, there is more exposure time from both of us planned this summer / autumn.

That's cracking! Well collaborated! :)

A knockout. The collaboration has given you enough data to bring the dust right into the picture and the golden star colour is a delight. Really, really good image.

One thing; I bet you could get more out of the core. I'd use a soft stretch of the colour data around the central star and layer it in using Ps.

Olly

Ooh, this is very nice indeed! I love these dusty nebula images - Excellent processing too :icon_salut:

I don't often get image envy.

I have now !

Dave.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Olly, Jake has also processed a version using the same data and I think he did a better job on the core than me, so definitely more data in there than I managed to show.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Olly, Jake has also processed a version using the same data and I think he did a better job on the core than me, so definitely more data in there than I managed to show.

It's very quick as a last operation to do a stretch from linear just for cores and paste them underneath before lightly and iteratively erasing the top layer where overcooked. I tend to use RGB for this rather than LRGB because it bloats less.

Olly

Lovely work and nice dust lanes with beautiful golden stars ;)

Nice when you share data to produce such a great image

Its very nice ,lots of detail you must be happy

pat

Well done, nice and dusty.