SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

May 22, 2013: Very frustrating evening and night

Yesterday evening started with promise of clear skies. At 19:30 I even got a nice view of the sun in both H-alpha and white light, and although the seeing was not that great I could see that the skies seemed to be settling down later: fewer clouds, stars coming out one by one, and they did not seem to twinkle that much. I set up the scope outside at about 21:30, hoping to capture Saturn later. Of course, clouds returned. As the forecast said there should be broad clear patches I decided to be patient, and I waited and waited, and waited. Occasionally the moon rode out clear from the clouds, but the moment you got outside, new clouds hurried in to cover it. Some grumbling could be detected.

Finally, at about 0:10 I had had enough and decided to pack the scope in. I had put the OTA away, got the mount from the tripod, got the tripod inside, and 5 minutes later the skies are clear. OK, so I set up the scope again, attach the camera, sort the laptop out, aim for Saturn, get it on the chip quickly, try to focus, and .......

clouds again!!!!! :clouds1: :clouds1: :cussing:

It went from beautifully clear to cloudy in the 10-15 minutes I needed to set the whole shebang.

Not to be deterred, I waited for clear patches, but the seeing was horrible, and the patches few and far between. I even tried going for the moon at lower mag, but to no avail. Plato and the Sinus Iridium could be seen swimming around. BLECH!! At 01:30 I really had had enough, packed everything in and went to bed. Of course, the moon was shining brightly through a large clear patch as I went to bed. That is adding insult to injury. The forecast for this evening is for clear skies again, but I am having a hard time believing that.

I understand your frustration Michael,the weather seems to have returned to its normal pattern at the moment.However the skies are dark for a short time at this time of year,so thats a little consolation.

Better luck next time.

Regards.

Mick.

Sorry to hear this, Micheal and I empathise with the situation. Since the 12th we've been having awful weather here but last night, at last, was a cloud free evening, so I decided to set up and have a peek. With an almost full moon I planned to do a little lunar, Saturn and double star observing, but the seeing, the transparency, whatever it was, was awful. As you put it, the moon was literally swimming. I was so disappointed.

Anyway, Michael, I've had a look on my weather forecast page for your area and it suggests that at least untill Saturday night you're in for more of this rubbish :BangHead: .

Annoying isn't it, I spent 3 hours dodging the clouds though I did have both the dob and the frac set up pointing at different parts of the sky so it wasn't too bad. Had a good night though with the new Maxivisions.

I hope you get a better session in this evening and the clowns of the sky give us all a break.

Sorry to hear this, Micheal and I empathise with the situation. Since the 12th we've been having awful weather here but last night, at last, was a cloud free evening, so I decided to set up and have a peek. With an almost full moon I planned to do a little lunar, Saturn and double star observing, but the seeing, the transparency, whatever it was, was awful. As you put it, the moon was literally swimming. I was so disappointed.

Anyway, Michael, I've had a look on my weather forecast page for your area and it suggests that at least untill Saturday night you're in for more of this rubbish :BangHead: .

Cheers. By Saturday, I will be in Sweden for couple of days, where the weather is better. Won't be able to take a scope along however.

Archived