Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weird Red glowing Object

TwistedJester

Yesterday in Hillingdon at 22:30. I saw an oval shapped red glowing object fly accross the sky, all of a sudden the object dropped vertically then disappeared before some houses. This wasn't a plane or an asteroid I have no idea what it was. Did anyone else see it or know what it is?

Thanks

Should be banned at all times. Cows eat them, they set fire to sheds and officially - 'it's littering...!!!'

I'll get off my soap box now...

I thought they banned the metal ones and it's all bio-degradeable now, made out of bamboo or whatever.

I have to say there are very few occasions where I'm shooting at night that a lantern doesn't end up wobbling it's way through my shot.

if a chinese lantern starts to fall is it still alight

Quite often, yes. The flame starts to weaken and it drops and then usually sputters out on the way down. We have had two or three of them land in the garden, fortunately well out by the time they landed.

I would love to see the things banned. It's attempted arson by airmail!

I can't stand the things, mainly because they've been adopted by the same sort of new-age, hippy, woo-woo spouting airheads that believe in astrology and crystals and ear candles. AND they are a danger to wildlife and crops AND I still regularly find the wire hooped remains when I take the dog for a walk.

I feel a petition coming on! How many signatures do the online ones have to have to force a parliamentary debate? Surely there must be enough astronomers in the UK?

I think that there ought to be an allowance for Chinese folks perhaps celebrating Chinese New Year, in much the same way we have fireworks on 5th November. Unfortunately, fireworks tend to go off all the time now - some fool set one off near us last week at 1am - bumping and banging through the quiet for about 30 seconds. So, ban fireworks until a few days before 5th Nov and ban these daft floating candle things until a few days before Chinese New Year I say. £20,000 fine for anyone found letting things off after the day has passed. That will sort it!

Archived