Narrowband

MOON Close-up (4000frs) Registax problems

Zendrix

Hi all,

I captured around 4000 frames in liveview mode while shooting at the Moon, with Camera / 2xBarlow / Telescope. Then cropped them in PIPP and created an AVI file to export after to Registax.

The video file, even after cropped and centered, is not very stable (i guess because it was windy?), u can see the Moon is misplaced in a few frames, but nothing really serious, in my guessing. So, when i pass it to Registax 6, i do the normal process that i already did for saturn and for full lunar disc, (Align, choose a decent amount of align points, limit to 95% quality or best frames, etc). Thing is, the final result is something really odd, with the Moon not even entering the final pic. Somewhere along the alignment points process there is a problem that i dont have the knowledge to solve, and you can see the green lines of alignment going way out of the picture for some reason.

I only had time to printscreen one shot before coming to work, and looks like this: post-23812-0-66407500-1369116564_thumb.p

Some alignment details were, as i remember:

minimum number of pix between alignment points - 30

from edge - 20

chose around 100 alignment points automatically (in some cases, there was one in a black area, but i tried right clicking in order to delete it,but it wouldnt do anything)

So, i wonder if i could get any help from you guys! Would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rui

Hi Rui,

If you do not have the full disc on the image then PIPP cannot help you with the centring of the object.

I am not much of an expert at this type of imaging but I would start by trying to remove all the frames where the moons position has shifted. You can do this by using PIPP to output the video as TIFF images and do the job manually or use VirtualDub to edit the video to remove sections where the moon has moved. This is quite a manual job but I do not know of a way to automate it.

Another approach is to try AS!2 for the stacking - see this guide: http://www.dennisput...ostakkert2.html.

Chers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I must say i would expect Registax to collect the alignment points of the frames of the AVI, even though they are quite a few pixels apart in some frames, because there are many clear points of reference for it to do the job... but, in my experience, i only got good clear results at first try when i use a full disc image or a planet and center it before in PIPP.. otherwise, I can't seem to be able to understand registax.

I will give it go later in AS2 and I'll let you know!

Thanks for your comment,

Rui

Registax isn't great if the alignment points are too far apart, though you might be able to configure it to accept them being further apart than it will by default. It also looks like you're stacking every single frame. I'd set it to stack the best 50% at most.

AS!2 is definitely worth a try, but on large images it can get painfully slow.

James

hi James,

so what would be the parameter that allows Registax to accept a larger distance for alignment points?

And what would be a reasonable limit value for this?

Is there any other way of aligning an AVI that could work? like, if i manually choose, say, 10 manual alignment points that definitely stand out on the picture?

Thank you for commenting! :)

Rui

Stick it through Reg 5 , use a single , large align-box centered on a small clear feature near the centre of frame.

Works for me , Reg 6 is far too intolerant , unless you have virtually 'perfect' AVIs it will play merry hell and you'll end up in R 5 or AS!2 anyway , R 5 is much more forgiving . . . :smiley:

Without firing up my laptop and starting Registax I'm not sure, but I think in the alignment section it allows you to configure some of the alignment parameters. To be honest, I much prefer to trim out the poorer-quality data to start with as it's more likely to give a good result.

The number of frames to include in the stack is set in the boxes at the bottom left of the alignment section. I rarely stack any frame with a quality level of less than 90% and if that gives me a very large number of frames I keep pushing the quality selector up until I'm stacking no more than 50% of the frames. The only major time I deviate from this is if I don't have that many frames to start with.

James

Hi Steve,

Ill give it a try as well. I guess REG 6 is perfect for centered frames, but, as you say, needs some forgiveness qualities still... :)

Things is I have a single and double speed R.A. motor drive, which means i cant center the Moon for more than 2 minutes with the Barlow setup, due to the moons own orbit, so the movies frames are quite displaced comparing the 1st frame with the last... do the EQ-5 and 6 have a specific speed for moon tracking?

Thank you for your input.

Rui

Hi Steve,

Ill give it a try as well. I guess REG 6 is perfect for centered frames, but, as you say, needs some forgiveness qualities still... :)

Things is I have a single and double speed R.A. motor drive, which means i cant center the Moon for more than 2 minutes with the Barlow setup, due to the moons own orbit, so the movies frames are quite displaced comparing the 1st frame with the last... do the EQ-5 and 6 have a specific speed for moon tracking?

Thank you for your input.

Rui

Hi guys,

Just some update. I transfered the AVI to Registax 5, like Steve suggested, and chose manually 4 alignment points, and it went just smoothly. Stacked around 1998 out of 4000, like James suggested.

Wavelets: channels 1,2 and 3 till half values and some very little sharpenning in Photoshop for my first close-up:

post-23812-0-72442700-1369137382_thumb.p

Thanks a lot for your input. Need to improve now... :)

Rui

Archived