2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

19.05 Saturn

riklaunim

As expected dusk provided a short time window of stable air and so I managed to get some much better Saturn photos.

~f/25, YRGB, RedLumRGB, Yellow channel, 19:52-20:05 UT:

yrgb_1952.jpgredlumrgb_2005.jpgyellow_1952.jpg

SCT C14, IDS UI-1240LE-NIR camera, Atmospheric dispersion corrector, Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlow, Wratten yellow and red longpass filters, RGB filters :)

• Like 1

Nice detail Piotr. I've also found that shots of Saturn earlier in the evening benefit from more stable seeing which more than compensates for the lower altitude.

Lovely set of images Piotr and some nice details coming through on the disk and rings. Great to be able to get some early runs in on Saturn and still get a reasonable nights sleep!

Thanks due BTW - as just worked through your WinJupos tutorial, which was very useful and is much appreciated. Now I need to get out and capture some better data to put it all together.

Nice Piotr.

I have a question, in the image at bottom, at around 7 o clock, there is a slight anomaly on the edge of the second band on the disk and mostly in the third.

I only ask because a long avi I captured on the same night has an apparent anomaly on that band too, a dark blob surrounded by a lighter edge. I can't see anything on the optics that has done it, and the image I stacked was the best 50% of 30,000 frames.

Pic attached and blob highlighted.

Do you think there is actually a storm or something there??? Or just some stacking anomaly. Seems odd that there is something on both our pics from the same night, in the same band.

My pic was captured at 23:13 GMT

Thanks

Tim

post-1391-0-94707000-1369239508_thumb.jp

saturnIRUV X2 IRUV 150ED 23-13-20 manualprocess x4.tif

Nice Piotr.

I have a question, in the image at bottom, at around 7 o clock, there is a slight anomaly on the edge of the second band on the disk and mostly in the third.

I only ask because a long avi I captured on the same night has an apparent anomaly on that band too, a dark blob surrounded by a lighter edge. I can't see anything on the optics that has done it, and the image I stacked was the best 50% of 30,000 frames.

Pic attached and blob highlighted.

Do you think there is actually a storm or something there??? Or just some stacking anomaly. Seems odd that there is something on both our pics from the same night, in the same band.

My pic was captured at 23:13 GMT

Thanks

Tim

I would do a quick stack of the first 10,000 frames and the last 10,000 frames of your AVI. Then flicking between the resulting images should show some movement of the feature if it is real.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1