Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you go to the forest alone?

jonathan

I am quite shocked at how many people here seem to fear spending time alone at night in the woods, where no-one else bothers to venture (defo none with a violent/criminal bent) yet I bet those same people are quite happy to walk through whatever city they live in during daylight hours - a far more dangerous prospect. 28 years of living and wandering the UK countryside at nighttime and I have never had aggro from anyone. 3 years living in a city and I was mugged at knifepoint several times, including twice in broad daylight.

I was brought up at the rough end of a rough council estate.

Yobs don't worry me. I talk their language. I wouldn't be worried about encountering a car full of yobs in the dead of night in the middle of nowhere other than them spoiling the peace and quiet.

No, it's not people that worry me. I can think rationally about people.

It's the things I can't see or think rationally about that keep me out of the woods alone at night. Well, that and the worry that a passing Tory MP might get the wrong idea :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not people that worry me. I can think rationally about people.

It's the things I can't see or think rationally about that keep me out of the woods alone at night. Well, that and the worry that a passing Tory MP might get the wrong idea :D

The trouble is, it's people who are the ones who don't tend to be rational, all the other life forms are normally quite rational and harmless (in the UK anyway).

I have an over-active imagination so walking down dark country roads in the dead of night is pushing it for me :) However, it's worth it just for the good views I can get of the Milky Way just outside my town. Though once I tried to venture into a little wooded area and an animal snorted somewhere in the darkness, and that was that!

I'm sure you'd be fine braving the woods alone as long as you are smart about it and tell people where you are going, but in my opinion, there are a lot of weird people in today's society and while the chances of something bad happening are probably less than 0.1%, you only have to be that 0.1% once.

If I was you I'd stick to open (ish) areas within the wood and try to keep your presence to a minimum.

But what do I know. I get spooked out in my garden or on the playing fields :D It doesn't matter that I'm a gym going 6ft and 14st, a childhood of watching Poltergeist, Close Encounters, Halloween, and IT will do that to a person.

I can't observe very well from my garden and i don't drive so 99% of my observing is done from city locations . occasionally I get a passerby but I can't say I have ever really been bothered the scariest moment I ever had was rescuing a badger that was drowning in the canal I was terrified it would bite my arm off. (badgers swim very well by the way but it couldn't pull itself onto the towpath)

Going in a small group makes it easier to explain to the Plod what you're up to, when they turn up in a 4x4 with megawatt lighting.

I've had some grief from wild animals - fox with a very bad BO problem insisted on sitting watching me about 20 feet away, and then started his/her opera practice, charged by a deer the size of a bison which thought I was a rival or potential mate perhaps, and worst of all, attacked by an Alsation which launched itself at me, chest height.

Chris

I used to use a "Dog Dazer" to deter dogs when cycling/walking.Great effect, they shake their heads and ears. Apart from the daft deaf Doberman, who ended up with the machine jammed in his mouth.

I try and do a dry run first at remote sites to see what activity there is. Too big and ugly to get hassled,

Nick.

Having been keen on walking, I've often ended the journey in darkness. I usually forget to take a torch when I'm not astronomizing. <sigh> I almost never encounter fellow "walkers". I am only vigilant when approaching towns / villages - Especially near "closing time". <G> But then you can usually *hear* any "trouble", long before you actually see it. I've had some hassles with hostile sheep / cattle though. ;)

I have felt somewhat vulnerable with astro gear - Limited to one place. I prefer higher / clearer ground - You can see anyone approaching. Another problem with woods / forest is tripping - Impaling yourself on something? I once fell a few feet from a plank bridge into a culvert too. Fortunately the water was clean-ish & warm - No fly-tipping etc. Climbing the bank was another story tho'... Must lose some weight! :p

A good point being made about being in towns and cities. Far more people encounter wild animals there than in the countryside. I met one in London once wanting to rob me, I bet he remembers the day far more frequently than I do.

It sounds like no one has experienced any trouble as such so you should be safe and sound. Should:D it is really your mind that is you enemy but keep your stuff to a minimum and play it safe and all should be fine.

Walking the dog one dark night I was a few yards from the exit when I heard three young guys debating wether or not to walk down an unlit path between the woods and house back gardens,

after a short discussion they chickened out and went back the way they came, was going to shout BOO but didn't want to scare them :)

Dave

Walking the dog one dark night I was a few yards from the exit when I heard three young guys debating wether or not to walk down an unlit path between the woods and house back gardens,

after a short discussion they chickened out and went back the way they came, was going to shout BOO but didn't want to scare them :)

Dave

Thanks for that Dave I just choked on my cup of tea :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Never mind the forest!

I was working last night and took my camera and tripod to a dark area of the works to get some pictures of ISS and Einstein. It's quite dark but not pitch black.

I know we have foxes on site and I also know we have all manner of plant and machinery ticking over.

The camera was set, ISS was rising, what could go wrong?

Well, the foxes started barking and yapping in the trees nearby and then a compressor decided to blow off very loudly. Too much sensory stimulation, thinks I...

Mid exposure I uprooted the camera and hoofed it out of there!

Am I man enough to be an astronomer?? :confused: :eek:

Not in a forest locally, but certainly I have done skywatches by msyelf - admittedly only using binocs. Away from locally I have ocasionally done watches alone in Rendlesham, depsite the nutters who frequented there.

No real issues other than being threatened by farmers with shotguns, but have abandoned watches when idiots were lamping - wouldn't trust them wiht a potato gun.

Hmm, now reminded of the time I spooked a mate while on a skywatch when he thought I was a blind man with a huge lightsabre...

65 replies and no-one has so far mentioned the danger of picnicking teddy bears?

They're not likely to be out at night, they will have gone home to bed, after all "they're tired little teddy bears" :laugh:

Anyone below the age of 40 is unlikely to have any idea what we're talking about.

My main hobby is mountainbiking and I go night-riding nearly every week (I use the term 'night' loosely at this time of year), usually with a friend or two in case there is an 'off'. It is an absolutely brilliant time to be out (especially on clear starry nights :wink: ). Have no fear, it is fair to say that there should be nothing out there that will eat you.

My advice; pick a sensible spot, maybe recce first on your own and approach it in the same way as night fisherman, only you have a scope rather than a rod. For a long session take tent, food, drink etc. Take lights (in case you drop something) and cover up to protect yourself from bugs and thorns.

Not sure how things work over there but I'm sure giving the local police a "heads up" when youre going in would help,maybe they can do a couple of driveby's to show they are in the area or maybe Natural Rescources enforcers.The other night when I was in a very remote area a couple of trucks were cruising around on the road...no problems,but at around midnight the police came by on the road pulling a boat(heard there was a drowning farther up) ,they slowed down & I waved and on they went.Pepper spray is legal here for bears,dogs etc. that is an option too if no other choice,but check your laws.I hope you can figure it out and get in the forest to enjoy everything.Be safe though.

Archived