SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade 4000 series 30mm 70fov

Hi folks

I'm considering buying the above EP to 'upgrade' my Orion DeepView 35mm EP .... Anyone able to advise/comment on experiences with either EP? Is one 'better' than the other optically? I do like my DeepView but I'm still tempted by the Meade .... Should I be?

Clear skies (yeah, right!!)

Donaldo

If that is the Meade QX range (I think it is), then stay away.

I tried the 20mm and it was the worst eyepiece that I have looked through. I don't think I have ever seen a positive review of a Meade QX eyepiece either.

Cheers Adrian, what was so bad about it? Telescope House have the 30mm in their mega deal page, knocking off nearly £20 .... I'm getting a hint of perhaps why this EP is a mega deal ...!?!?

Donaldo

I was using the 20mm in an SCT at f10 (I was tempted by the price, too), and the outer half of the view was terrible. Jupiter towards the edge of the FOV seemed to be double: a second, oval shaped, out of focus view seemed to be superimposed over the blurred view it was giving. No amount of focus adjustment would fix it. An 18mm ortho gave a more useable field of view and an 18mm BST explorer blew it out of the water. I returned it the next day and got the 14mm Meade super plossl that is still in my eyepiece case.

The Maxvisions linked to above, are Meade 5000 SWAs and are in a completely different class in terms of optical and construction quality to the un-loved QXs. Whilst they're available, the Maxvisions should be snapped up, because they really are a good £150 RRP EP on the cheap.

Russell

Archived