SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Neighbours

Boltonian

I'm not sure if this topic has been mentioned before (apologies if it has), but I'm curious to know if your neighbours observe you as you observe the heavens, and if it bothers you. I don't have a scope as yet, but I think I'd feel uncomfortable if I thought that my neighbours were twitching their curtains to see what I was up to in my back-garden

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes you feel uncomfortable then i'd say just to pop round & explain to them what your up to. If you dont fancy doing that then u could just pop a note through their door. Me, I dont give a stuff what mine think. :grin:

I'm more worried that neighbours might think I'm not just looking up at the sky :eek: out in the dark with a telescope and no lights on to show what you're up to! Although I've never had a visit :police:

If it makes you feel uncomfortable then i'd say just to pop round & explain to them what your up to. If you dont fancy doing that then u could just pop a note through their door. Me, I dont give a stuff what mine think. :grin:

I admire your balls (as it were) ;)

I have created privacy in my backyard with garden trellis and bushes, climbing plants such as clematis - which I also employed to conceal lights. I am aware of my neighbours (I live in a terrace town house) but I do not feel as though I am overlooked. I am also very quiet if outside.

I'm more worried that neighbours might think I'm not just looking up at the sky :eek: out in the dark with a telescope and no lights on to show what you're up to! Although I've never had a visit :police:

:grin:

I have created privacy in my backyard with garden trellis and bushes, climbing plants such as clematis - which I also employed to conceal lights. I am aware of my neighbours (I live in a terrace town house) but I do not feel as though I am overlooked. I am also very quiet if outside.

That's a good way of doing it. My fence-panels are quite low, so I'd feel a bit self-conscious. I'm giving serious consideration to attaching a hinge to my shed-roof and operating from there

I am not bothered what my current neighbours think. They are ferral, lights on all night, noise until 4 a.m. at the weekends...so they can go hang.

ahh the ferrals...haven't heard that for a while :)

My neighbour on one side doesn't seem to use his windows that overlook my back garden so I doubt he even knows what I do. The old lady at the back goes to bed early and the bloke the other side bought my first newtonian off me to get started himself a few months back, so occasionally we 'meet' as faceless voices exchanging observations quietly in the 2am darkness (but he's not as passionate as me, so mostly I have the neighbourhood to myself).

I have a couple of local bats for company at night and that's pretty much it. And I like it that way!! Until the bats almost hit me. I'm sure one of the blighters likes to annoy me - felt the wind off his wings a few times the other week at dusk. :)

My neighbour on one side doesn't seem to use his windows that overlook my back garden so I doubt he even knows what I do. The old lady at the back goes to bed early and the bloke the other side bought my first newtonian off me to get started himself a few months back, so occasionally we 'meet' as faceless voices exchanging observations quietly in the 2am darkness (but he's not as passionate as me, so mostly I have the neighbourhood to myself).

I have a couple of local bats for company at night and that's pretty much it. And I like it that way!! Until the bats almost hit me. I'm sure one of the blighters likes to annoy me - felt the wind off his wings a few times the other week at dusk. :)

That sounds like the ideal scenario. My neighbour on the left is one of those people who needs to know everything that goes on. He's the local neighbourhood watch coordinator. Need I say more? On my right is a guy who makes noisy love to his girlfriend. At the back is an electricity substation. Could be worse, I suppose...

I ignore them, to be honest I don't think they are bothered but I have seen them gathering about looking. It makes me uncomfortable but I get the feeling they are more uncomfortable by it, then again I'm uncomfortable if someone is in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I assume if it was a problem I'd know about it by now.

I ignore them, to be honest I don't think they are bothered but I have seen them gathering about looking. It makes me uncomfortable but I get the feeling they are more uncomfortable by it, then again I'm uncomfortable if someone is in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I assume if it was a problem I'd know about it by now.

I hear what you're saying about the cooking thing. I'm the cook in our house, and if my wife happens to come wandering in the kitchen when I'm in full flow, I respectfully suggest she gets out and watches Neighbours or some other such inane drivel

If by any chance u did have a visit by the local SWAT :grin: I'd suggest to them that if you were 'that way inclined' you'd be using a 'land' telescope as with yours the view thru the scope is upside down, that may infer you have a thing about gymnasts but you can then fire back with (Saturn at the ready in the scope) 'with views like this, do u really think i'm in the slightest bit bothered with what they're up too?!', you never know, you may get some converts. :grin:

Steve

Living next to quiet old folk is a darnsight easier for astronomy than living near BBQ/trampoline families. We've had a sudden run on 'em in the last year and the local light pollution has increased exponentially. 'Twas a mag 6 sky from the comfort of my garden up until this year.....

Living next to quiet old folk is a darnsight easier for astronomy than living near BBQ/trampoline families. We've had a sudden run on 'em in the last year and the local light pollution has increased exponentially. 'Twas a mag 6 sky from the comfort of my garden up until this year.....

I'm with you on this one mate. The young(ish) woman and her two daughters have to leave the kitchen light on all night in case the dog gets lost on the way to relieve itself. security lights aren't on sensors....they're just ON!!!. the dear old lady (well into her 90's) on the other side is what could quite easily be described as the Ideal neighbour. whilst talking out the front one day we got onto the telescope. she said " when i notice you out there I turn the light on so you can see what you're doing". she wasn't to know any better and her heart is in the right place. she couldn't apoligise enough when i explained it wasn't helping :). she's a lovely lady and i'll hate to see her go

The "neighbours" on one side are a half way house for "care in the community". They keep them selves to themselves mostly but do have a tendency to leave lights on, but they're easily screened.

On the other side are a very pleasant couple, but they do occasionally use their security light when going to their outbuilding thingy (Neither put in by them) They know I'm an astro-geek so that's OK

As for the others they can go hang especially the so-and-so s who've let a weed sycamore (I think, could be a plane) grow till it's blocked a chunk of my south-east. Hmm.. anyone got some honey-fungus I can infect it with?

But TBH I don't really give a tuppenny cuss what the neighours think.

I'm quite lucky - not too overlooked. I have some shops backing on to me, complete with badly adjusted security lights though. Sometimes the bloke next door comes over to have a look, nice friendly chap though. The other neighbours prefer to keep themselves to themselves.

The "neighbours" on one side are a half way house for "care in the community". They keep them selves to themselves mostly but do have a tendency to leave lights on, but they're easily screened.

On the other side are a very pleasant couple, but they do occasionally use their security light when going to their outbuilding thingy (Neither put in by them) They know I'm an astro-geek so that's OK

As for the others they can go hang especially the so-and-so s who've let a weed sycamore (I think, could be a plane) grow till it's blocked a chunk of my south-east. Hmm.. anyone got some honey-fungus I can infect it with?

But TBH I don't really give a tuppenny cuss what the neighours think.

I've 'heard :rolleyes: ' that drilling a several holes in the base of a trees trunk & feeding it a nice diet of petrol or diesel for a week can work wonders. Not that I would condone such behaviour of course :smiley:

Steve

I've 'heard :rolleyes: ' that drilling a several holes in the base of a trees trunk & feeding it a nice diet of petrol or diesel for a week can work wonders. Not that I would condone such behaviour of course :smiley:

Steve

Five+ copper nails in it will kill it within five months.

You lot don't know how lucky you are i have to do my viewing in front of my house in the spare parking spot as the tiny yard is overlooked by shops with security lights, in front i have around eleven street lights for local shop parking and a old peoples sheltered housing tower block over looking that.

Even had people taking pictures of me from the block and on top of that i have to keep an eye out in case the local feral youth decide to try and smash the scope in.

So na :p

Archived