Traveling with Telescope by car

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a zafira!

With one of the back seats folded down, the whole 'scope fully assembled slides in nicely with its own seat belt!

Sorry, but you were asking for advice.

Most of the 'scopes in the UK have managed the journey from China without too much trouble, mine didn't even need collimating straight out of the box.

As long as you are careful, wrap it up and secure it whilst moving, as others have suggested, there shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

With my 200p I lay it across the back seat wrapped in a blanket & make sure he always puts his seatbelt on. :rolleyes: I used to travel to Cumbria from Harrogate twice a week b4 I moved here & never did it any harm.

Steve

"Clunk-Click-Every Trip" plus a duvet on the car floor just in case it should roll...you can't be too careful with our loved ones! :) It's a bit of a bumpy ride to reach our dark site, so need to tweak the primary on arrival

0ops, just realised it was Jimmy Savile who said the above slogan in the 70's TV ad. Don't think it appropriate to have mentioned it on this forum. Apologies for any offence caused. Much appreciated if the moderators could remove my post please.

i don't have your scope but my 200p dob goes across the back seat in a snowboarding bag. i don't bother strapping it in as I put a wodden fold up chair infront of it which sits in the foot well which stops it from rolling off the seat should i have to break suddenly.

On another forum, somebody suggested using a case by Plano, model 1819 XXL. So I bought one from Amazon.com for around $40. This thing even HAS WHEELS. I able get everything inside including my 150mm OTA, mount, tripod, balance weights etc. For cushion I use the original packagining foam and bubble wrap.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EC4e1MytL._SX300_.jpg

I never take my scope in the car because it always insists on driving.

No seriously. Lay it flat on the back seat and dont do any emergeny braking. Not sure why people wrap them in duvets etc. I suppose it absorbs any shocks that might happen when hitting potholes or small furry animals out in the wilds of the countryside.

I don't think you ever go out to do any emergency braking do you? I seat belt mine in just in case another car or a person isn't getting out my way fast enough!

On dark country roads i am always expecting to do some emergency braking because the alternative is not a pretty picture. Then again i expect to do the same during the day because farmers have a habit of taking herds of cows from the field to the milking station, along the roads. Sheep too are just plain crazy. They think its great fun to just leap over ditches into the middle of the road.

My worst experience was while in Sussex. I was in a car with my uncle. He was driving. It was a foggy night and we rounded a bend in the road and no kidding there was a small group of wild deer crossing the road. Thankfully we were only driving about 20 MPH and the fog wasnt too thick........so we saw the deer and they saw us and cleared the road in the blink of an eye.

So anyway.........i guess........belt-up the scope because you dont want that hitting the floor or back of front seats.

This was an announcement by the DOE. Normal services will now resume.

Moffer I'm certainly not offended , it was a road safety campaign and nowt more .

I suspect that the majority of SGL members haven't taken offence either, myself included if someone else had posted the slogan. Could well be that I'm guilty of reading too much into it, but thought it best to apologise just in case.

Cheers breezy

I suspect that the majority of SGL members haven't taken offence either, myself included if someone else had posted the slogan. Could well be that I'm guilty of reading too much into it, but thought it best to apologise just in case.

Cheers breezy

No need to apologise for the past sins of others.

Archived