Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

6" bresser v HEQ5 mount

Hi folks.

I have a 6"/152mm bresser refractor. I am looking for a mount. I have looked at the HEQ5.

I have spoken to various astronomy stores around the country. Some say no, the HEQ5 will not

handle the weight of the Bresser which weighs in at just over 10 kilo's. Some are telling me the payload limit for this mount is 9 kilo's, some 15+ even up to 18 kilo's. think ill chuck it in tthe canal opposite and go back to scuba diving..... Cheers.... Clear skies....

Depends if you are planning on using for visual or imaging. For visual HEQ5 will do just fine. For imaging you would want a NEQ6. I've seen from 15kg, 18kg, and 20kg capacity. I've always thought its to be 18kg. So like I said before: for visual use you're fine. For imaging you will want something more. As I think this is an achromatic scope i'm guessing you want visual use. So you're fine with the HEQ5.

My 127L is fine on the EXOS2 (EQ5 class) mount and that's a good deal less massive than the HEQ5 I used to have. The HEQ5 will certainly be fine with the 152 for visual, but worth noting that you'll want to make sure the worm drives are well adjusted to reduce slop and backlash - If they're sloppy, it can take some while for a post focusing vibration to settle down and makes fine focusing a real chore.

Russell

Hi micjyfynn111,

I have the Bresser short 6" frac - AR152S. Visually this works a treat on the Exos2, which is a rebadged Meade LDX75. My Exos2 is beautifully made and to a much higher standard than the previous CG5 and EQ5 that I have owned. However, most of the time I am using this scope on my HEQ5 Pro and the mount handles it beautifully. Although I haven't tried any serious LX imaging, I'm pretty sure this combination will work comfortably even though at the limit of the recommended imaging payload. For the longer F8 version you may need to be cautious of the balance. My AR152S/760 weighs in at 10.6kg and the AR152L/1200 is 11.1kg, there's an extra doublet in the short version which is a near Petzval design.

If you are going for the AR152L/1200, you may want to consider a pier extender to raise the height of the HEQ5 - I find mine okay with a 90 degree diagonal, but you might be stooping a little lower to observe at Zenith (or sitting/kneeling on the ground).

Good point on the height issue with the long tube refractors. My observing chair only just about goes low enough for observing near zenith with the 127L. The 152L can't make this any easier

Also a good point on the quality of finish on the EXOS2 versus the Skywatcher, albeit the HEQ5 is a considerably higher load mount than the EXOS2, so it's not like it's an alternative. I'm also pretty sure I never woke any neighbours with my HEQ5 during full speed slews....

Russell

Also a good point on the quality of finish on the EXOS2 versus the Skywatcher, albeit the HEQ5 is a considerably higher load mount than the EXOS2, so it's not like it's an alternative. I'm also pretty sure I never woke any neighbours with my HEQ5 during full speed slews....

That sounds like confirmation of the oft reported rumours on the noise levels of the Autostar goto ;) I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my Exos2 with goto - but Bresser want £ 500 for their branded version of the Autostar upgrade kit! So I think it will have to be the Skywatcher Synscan EQ5 kit and a little bodge on the DEC housing to make it fit. Not that I'm too concerned about the neighbours, but definitely don't want to wake my kids up :)

I have a 16" pillar extension which I can use with my Giro-style mount / 2" steel CG5 tripod for viewing high up with long refractors. It takes the setup into "grunt and go" territory mobility-wise but the eyepiece is at a nice height if you prefer standing while observing, as I do.

John, do you know if the pillars are universal across all of the EQ5/GP/LXD/CG5 class mounts? I sort of assumed that as they're all GP clones, they might be, but that would be an expensive assumption!

Snakey - There is a setting that limits the slew speed making it much quieter. At least there is with the Autostar. The Synscan, I'm not so sure about.

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

My 6" Celestron CR150D F8 sits beautifully on my CG-5. However, I have made some significant upgrades, including: William Optics mounting plate for the rings, ADM upgraded saddle and puck with twin aluminium adjustment knobs and heavy duty wooden fixed height tripod (you can't beat wood for absorbing vibrations).

I'm a visual only man, and the setup handles the big scope with no problem...it's blooming heavy to lug out of the garage though!

Dave

John, do you know if the pillars are universal across all of the EQ5/GP/LXD/CG5 class mounts? I sort of assumed that as they're all GP clones, they might be, but that would be an expensive assumption!

Russell

Russell,

The type I have is compatible with the AZ-4, Giro type, Skytee II, EQ3-2, EQ5, HEQ5 and CG5 mounts. It may also be compatible with the Vixen SP and GP mounts but I've not tried it with those.

Archived