Zoom eyepieces - any good?

Oat

Are they any good or is it best to steer clear? I don't have a specific one in mind but if they are good i would consider one and would look out for one at the show this weekend.

Seben Zoom eyepiece 8-24mm costs 49€, for that price it's okey. I have the TS Zoom (21-7mm). Both suffer from a narrow view at the higher focal length. Even more expensive one have this issue. Even for 50-60€ you get two nice eyepieces with wide angle view.

Almost invariably the zooms aren't quite as good as the individual eyepieces. When they do start to become as good as individual eyepieces, you start to pay a silly amount of money for them.

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=3100&xf88e8=610fe99b086976784dcd962409f1259b&xece83=7cc6ec39157a1457135df770c1ae5fd2

The Nagler 2-4mm and 3-6mm zooms are great though, but they don't cover a wide range, unlike the Leica Zoom.

I think it just comes down to how much money you are prepared to spend. I have a 3-6mm Nagler, one of the best but untested by me at the moment, these are not cheap. Many sing praises to the Baader Mk3 but I have also read problems with them 2-3 on this forum. I have also read good reports for Meades 8-24mm offering and this will not leave you needing to sell the house to fund it. So it is really a case of how much money do you have for us to play with? Alan.

The trade off for the zooming is apparent field of view - most zooms have a roughly 40-60 degree range from the long to short fl. so it also depends on the use - on a driven mount looking at the moon and planets this could be ideal. But non-driven star hopping for dso it feels narrow at 40, so need to use a wider ep as a finder, and then it can still be good for setting the right magnification to optimise contrast. I have a nikon spotting scope zoom (21-7mm, 38.5* at the long fl), which is optically good but narrow at 21mm. I got lucky with a good deal on a Leica zoom which has a wider angle (58-78*), and is useful for some star hopping and finding the optimum mag/contrast on galaxies, and I'm very happy with it, but v expensive new. The Baader Mk III is said to be very good optically, and medium expensive.

There have been a lot of discussions, I've read a few threads where it was speculated that both are clones of the Vixen LV 8-24mm.

The two cheap ones are probably out of the same factory, and labeled with different logos :-) But who knows.

Also the Orbinar/Seben has good reviews considering the price range of these zooms, so it's certainly not bad, and I doubt there is noticable difference other then the usual variance in the production process of inexpensive parts.

Archived