Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetarium shows at Greenwich

Hi all.

We are planning to take two of our grandchildren to the Planetarium . Our grandchildren are seven and eight years old and quite mature and bright for their age. There are two shows on offer which might be suitable; ' The Sky tonight' and 'We are aliens'. If any members have seen these shows, particularly with younger children, we would appreciate recommendations as to which performance might be the most suitable .

thanks in anticipation George

I visited Greenwich obsy in mid Feb this year with several of our astro club members - both great shows for kids - not quite enough content for adult amateur astronomers, but after all, the shows are aimed at the general public and kids mostly. After the shows there's a lot of exhibits to look around (which is what I mostly went for) demonstrating the history of telescopes, time, and night sky exploration, with lots of original equipment on view.

It's an all round fascinating place for a day out for the whole family - a must visit that I would totally recommend. :)

I took my 2 girls aged 11 and 8 to the 'sky tonight' show & it was great - perfectly aimed at their age group and interactive with them being encouraged to call out answers. They got to meet the (female) astronomer who had presented the show afterwards, a really nice touch and pretty inspirational.

I went earlier in the year, don't think it was either of these particular shows but its very good, as are the presenters. Highly recommended.

Agreed. I saw a show there a couple of years ago, and, despite a technical hicup halfway through the show, the presenter's knowledge and wit glossed over it nicely. A great facility with very good staff.

• 1 month later...

Finally took my nine and seven year old grandchildren to the Peter Harrison Planetarium at the Royal Observatory Greenwich. They had a really great time, they particularly enjoyed the exhibition of clocks and navigational equipment. My grandson loved the great dome and went around twice to view the 28 inch refractor! My granddaughter was surprised by how much she liked the 'The Sky Tonight' planetarium presentation. So a good day out for girls as well as nerdy anorak wearing boys! As for their obsessive grandfather he had to take off his anorak as the weather turned rather warm, quite reminiscent of summer. So thanks to all who replied to my original post and to the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

Archived